Old 11-02-2006, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
gary c

Default Killing weeds

My garden contains "GOOD" plants (roses, Mexican Heather plants, a
barberry shrub, a crape mytle tree, a redbud tree, gazanias and other
shrubs).

Throughout the garden there are "BAD" plants [weeds (i.e., common
purslane, common groundsel, spurge, etc) and ornamental strawberry
vines].

Will Bandini Pro-Choice Weed & Feed kill the "BAD" plants without
harming the "GOOD" plants?

Should I hand-pull the "BAD" plants before applying the Weed & Feed?

Old 12-02-2006, 05:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"gary c" wrote in message
oups.com...
My garden contains "GOOD" plants (roses, Mexican Heather plants, a
barberry shrub, a crape mytle tree, a redbud tree, gazanias and other
shrubs).

Throughout the garden there are "BAD" plants [weeds (i.e., common
purslane, common groundsel, spurge, etc) and ornamental strawberry
vines].

Will Bandini Pro-Choice Weed & Feed kill the "BAD" plants without
harming the "GOOD" plants?

Should I hand-pull the "BAD" plants before applying the Weed & Feed?

You should first try a swan neck hoe, and forget the chemicals altogether.
http://www.gardeners.com/Swan-Neck-H...ing.34-526.cpd

This tool slices underneath the weeds. If some of your weeds have a long tap
root (looks like a carrot, sort of), you'll still need to get down and hand
weed. But, for the vast majority of weeds in cultivated soil, this tool is
wonderful. Get a medium-fine file and keep it in the garage for touching up
the edge. Do the same with your spade.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
Timothy

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 15:13:45 -0800, gary c wrote:

My garden contains "GOOD" plants (roses, Mexican Heather plants, a
barberry shrub, a crape mytle tree, a redbud tree, gazanias and other
shrubs).

Throughout the garden there are "BAD" plants [weeds (i.e., common
purslane, common groundsel, spurge, etc) and ornamental strawberry vines].

Will Bandini Pro-Choice Weed & Feed kill the "BAD" plants without harming
the "GOOD" plants?

Should I hand-pull the "BAD" plants before applying the Weed & Feed?

Good day Gary.
In a "garden" setting, no it will not work the way you wish. I have never
heard of Bandini so I looked them up. Their web site is gone. I would
suspect that the company has gone away also. Maybe not but who knows. PAN
( http://www.pesticideinfo.org/ ) has a listing of the chemicals. Those
chems are : Dicamba, 2,4-d and Mecoprop.

These chemicals will affect your garden plants along with the
weeds.....sorry.
--
http://resources.ywgc.com/
Old 12-02-2006, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

On 11 Feb 2006 15:13:45 -0800, gary c wrote:

Will Bandini Pro-Choice Weed & Feed kill the "BAD" plants without
harming the "GOOD" plants?

No.

Should I hand-pull the "BAD" plants before applying the Weed & Feed?

Handpull and use a straight fertilizer if desired, but not a weed-and-feed
type product. If you read the label, I'm pretty sure it's intended
for lawns, but the website is not available at the moment -- a listing
of the active ingredients looks like the standard "I'm going to kill anything
but grass in this lawn or turn blue" list. Always, ALWAYS
read the label completely before applying any pesticide.

Much safer choice: pull or hoe weeds, apply mulch thick enough to be
weed-suppressive.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chuckie

Hand pull and put preen on after you finish that will pay off in the
long run. Fertilize your plants with fertilizers that are for them
only.
Weed and Feed is for grass.
Chuckie in the Frozen North, Zone 5
Today is the day of the Lord
This is the day that the Lord has made.

Old 13-02-2006, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
raycruzer

You can also use any of a dozen or so precise back-saving weed pullers
and twisters on the market today. Many on-line alternatives are listed
at the World of Weeds www.ergonica.com. Nature makes plants, humans
make weeds. You have to name a plant 'bad' or 'weed' before you can
justify killing it. No enemies, no wars?