Old 28-03-2003, 11:08 PM
spampot

Default Question about cutting back St. John's Wort

My hypericum has turned its winter bronze, and I'm wondering whether it
needs mowing or something to let the new green stuff emerge. Is it
better to leave it looking sloppy? I don't care about looks, just about
the health of this ground cover. I want it to spread.

Old 29-03-2003, 04:56 AM
Jane

I shear mine back in the spring and it seems to spread very nicely. I'm in
6b Maryland too.

Jane

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
spampot

Thanks, Jane, I got the shears out and cleared mine today (in between
rain showers) and I see lots of little green shoots coming up. I'm
going to have to put some of those openwork garden paling things up; the
stuff keeps creeping out over the flagstone path. I want it to spread
backward toward the azaleas as well as outward!

I'm in Ellicott City; where are you?

Old 30-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Julia Green

"Jane" wrote in message
et...
I shear mine back in the spring and it seems to spread very nicely. I'm

in
6b Maryland too.

Anyone see Adrian Higgins' article in the Home section last week? It seems
that virtually all of Maryland is now zone 7. The Hardiness Zone Map will
be updated in the next few weeks.

Julia, who now lives in Maryland, zone 7a

Old 31-03-2003, 12:44 PM
spampot

Julia Green wrote:
"Jane" wrote in message
et...

I shear mine back in the spring and it seems to spread very nicely. I'm

in

6b Maryland too.

Anyone see Adrian Higgins' article in the Home section last week? It seems
that virtually all of Maryland is now zone 7. The Hardiness Zone Map will
be updated in the next few weeks.

Julia, who now lives in Maryland, zone 7a

Yes, I saw that in the Washington Post. Interesting. Now I can relax
when I read Southern Living's recommendations for its usual zones.