Old 29-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Cherrill Heaton

Default Lexan greenhouse covering?

I have a busted-up greenhouse that had 1/8-inch glass panes, and an
aluminum frame sitting on an approx. 3-ft wall, that I want to
re-glaze. Lowes, Home Depot, and glass places in my area (North FL)
don't have any twin-wall polycarbonate, and I don't think I can afford
to have it crated/shipped to me. I am leaning toward fiberglass as a
material that will work and that I can get locally. I want to use
sheets 10 ft. long and 30 inches wide, run top to bottom of the GH,
which has a curve where roof meets walls.
Local glass places do have clear solid polycarbonate (Lexan). But in
all the online reading I have done about greenhouses, nowhere did I see
any mention of a GH done with clear Lexan, either partly or totally.
Why is that? I know solid Lexan would not be ideal (scratches, poor
insulation, somewhat costly) but won't it work, at least as well as the
original glass? Thanks. CP
Old 29-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Cherrill Heaton

In article m,
Cherrill Heaton wrote:

p.s. By "clear solid Lexan" I meant Lexan that is as clear and flat as
a pane of glass.

Old 29-03-2003, 11:56 AM
IntarsiaCo

Lowes, Home Depot, and glass places in my area (North FL)
don't have any twin-wall polycarbonate

Try a plastics distributor.
Old 29-03-2003, 04:20 PM

have you asked them to order some for you? I finally found polycarb at a plastic
place. 50 bucks for a 4x8 sheet. polycarb is polycarb. it doesnt break. I think
lexan is expensive, but why not use it if that isnt the criteria. Ingrid

Cherrill Heaton wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 30-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Rob Smith

Try http://www.farmwholesale.com/ I was looking glazing and found these
guys, they seem pretty in-expensive. I don't think charge the big crating
fees either.

Hope this helps,
Rob Smith
www.allwoodwork.com

"Cherrill Heaton" wrote in message
s.com...

Old 01-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Holly Jones

I work at a Plastics house in Green Bay, WI. We sell twin wall
polycarbonate.
We also sell special fitted windows for the twin wall polycarbonate.
Please give me a call if you are seriously interested in pricing and
options. Midland Plastics, Inc. 1-800-678-0870.

Cherrill Heaton wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List