Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
zhanataya

Default For Victoria: Torching the sedge

How well did the torch work for you ? I've already got it popping up
all over. I thought I might try it if you think it will help.
Certainly nothing else has done much good.

zhan
Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
TOM KAN PA

Torching The Sedge?
Sounds like you've come up with the title for the next Harry Potter book!

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Night Kitty

Naw, that's just how paghat trims her **** hair!

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
animaux

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 17:29:40 GMT, zhanataya wrote:

How well did the torch work for you ? I've already got it popping up
all over. I thought I might try it if you think it will help.
Certainly nothing else has done much good.

zhan

I'm finally finished laughing at another' response! Anyway, I have not used it
yet because the sedge doesn't seem to be coming up yet. We're a little behind
due to the late ice storm several weeks ago. We may have a light frost tonight.

In the few beds I've cleaned up I was able to pull the nut sedge out with the
nuts. In soil which is not friable (it's a delicate balance of watering and
timing) I haven't attempted to remove the nuts.

Last year we lay down a ton of newspapers and mulch on top all around the beds
in hopes of quelling the further development and disturbance of the nutlets in
the ground.

When I start to torch, I will announce my findings!
Victoria
Old 30-03-2003, 02:44 AM
zhanataya

On 29 Mar 2003 19:48:19 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Torching The Sedge?
Sounds like you've come up with the title for the next Harry Potter book!

Now there's an idea maybe the wizard has a formula to get rid of
sedge.

Old 30-03-2003, 02:56 AM
jammer

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 00:50:09 GMT, animaux
wrote:

[...]

And i'm laughing because i had to think about that first line and then
found myself reading of nuts and nutlets. Or something like that. (I
will go look at nut sedge)

Sorry, i will go punish myself for this posting.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 30-03-2003, 02:56 AM
zhanataya

wrote:

How well did the torch work for you ? I've already got it popping up
all over. I thought I might try it if you think it will help.
Certainly nothing else has done much good.

zhan

I'm finally finished laughing at another' response!

I know what you mean I strangled coffee out my nose onto my desk.
I'll just be patient and see what your results are.

Old 30-03-2003, 09:56 AM
JStubbs358

Let me make sure I understand. You are graciously doing a test for us on how to
get rid of that horrible nuts sedge by burning it? How do you keep the rest of
things from burning? and why would the little nuts underground care? wouldn't
hey come back greener like your yard when you accidently burn it down?
judy7b
Old 30-03-2003, 01:32 PM
madgarder

nothing like coffee outa the nose holes onto the keyboard to wake you up,
eh? howze about SNOW covering everything while yer reading this and
laughing yer ass off?? (I just hope Paggers sees the humor and has a good
laugh, and ignores replying back g, geeze, torching the sedge, nuts and
nutlets, snow..........this is one wonderful thread that's started up!!
GBSEG madgardener going to make some hot cocoa

Old 30-03-2003, 03:08 PM
TOM KAN PA

Subject: For Victoria: Torching the sedge
From: (JStubbs358
____Reply Separator_____
Actually, she said, "In the few beds I've cleaned up I was able to pull the nut
sedge out with the nuts. "

This of course caused me to cross my legs and wince!

Old 30-03-2003, 10:20 PM
animaux

Juty, juty, juty; we are talking about pre-existing nutsedge. These are
produced en masse by way of soil disturbance. In many cases the only way to get
rid of it is to pull it out very gently.

Last year we were discussing using one of those small torches with propane gas
to burn the small leaves as they emerge. If you cut off the part of the plant
which is photosynthesized, you can contain the growth of the nuts in the ground.
Every year I try to remove more and more of it. To date I know of no way to
kill it other than removal. Not even synthetic chemicals are designed to kill
it. They SAY it will kill it, but it doesn't get it all. Nutsedge can stay
dormant in soil for EVER. A little disturbed soil and voila, nutsedge.