Old 30-03-2003, 03:32 AM
ncstockguy

Default longleaf pines and ice damage...question

In our part of the country (Zone 7) a lot of longleaf pines were
heavily damaged by a major ice storm this winter. Question: Anyone
know from experience how these damaged trees will do over the longer
haul? I am talking about fairly large longleaf pines with their tops
ripped off or major branches torn off. Will they die quickly or
longer term? Will they shrug if off and recover eventually?
I'd like to do some planning regarding these trees, and if they are
going to die..we might as well cut them down and replace them now, eh?
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:56 AM
ncstockguy

Actually, no. This was the worst ice storm in this region in 50
years. The pines are not quite that old. More like 20 or 30.

jammer wrote in message . ..
Well, I am assuming that the trees are old enough to have gone through
ice storms before. Give them time. The shapes might not be the same,
but they won't die or anything.

On 29 Mar 2003 09:29:48 -0800, (ncstockguy)
wrote:

In our part of the country (Zone 7) a lot of longleaf pines were
heavily damaged by a major ice storm this winter. Question: Anyone
know from experience how these damaged trees will do over the longer
haul? I am talking about fairly large longleaf pines with their tops
ripped off or major branches torn off. Will they die quickly or
longer term? Will they shrug if off and recover eventually?
I'd like to do some planning regarding these trees, and if they are
going to die..we might as well cut them down and replace them now, eh?
Thanks for the info.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 03-04-2003, 03:08 AM
bthache

Almost all of the long needled pines in Ontario took a heavy hit with winter
blight this year. I thought it was just this area up north, but it's all
the way down to southern Ontario. In fact, some areas there are worse than
here. Almost all needles that were above the snow line are now completely
brown. I'm told it's not deadly and that the needles will be replaced. I
sure hope so. My poor trees were doing so well!
--
Tammie
Zone 2b-3a Far Northern Ontario

"ncstockguy" wrote in message
om...
Actually, no. This was the worst ice storm in this region in 50
years. The pines are not quite that old. More like 20 or 30.

. ..