Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Bill Gates

Default Patio Garden, Cat Friendly help requested

I am new to gardening and I have a patio that receives full sun all
day long. I live in the south, North Carolina to be exact. I would
like to put some plants on my patio, perhaps some vine type plants and
other flowering plants to cover up the incredible ugly iron gate which
is there.

To this add that I have cats so I need to be careful to put plants
that are safe for comsumption for cats, should they get out. With all
that said, as I am new to plants and gardening does anyone have any
ideas or recommendations for Cat Safe, easy care and full sun tolerant
plants for one's patio?

Thank you in advance and I truly appreciate your help.

Hua!
Old 30-03-2003, 03:08 AM
jammer

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html
The list is huge

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 01:18:13 GMT, Bill Gates
wrote:

I am new to gardening and I have a patio that receives full sun all
day long. I live in the south, North Carolina to be exact. I would
like to put some plants on my patio, perhaps some vine type plants and
other flowering plants to cover up the incredible ugly iron gate which
is there.

To this add that I have cats so I need to be careful to put plants
that are safe for comsumption for cats, should they get out. With all
that said, as I am new to plants and gardening does anyone have any
ideas or recommendations for Cat Safe, easy care and full sun tolerant
plants for one's patio?

Thank you in advance and I truly appreciate your help.

Hua!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 03-04-2003, 10:08 PM
thoranw

You could also plant some cat-nip. It's very easy to grow and the cats will
mostly ignore everything else because they just hit the jack-pot!

Sonya

Old 04-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

I am new to gardening and I have a patio that receives full sun all
day long. I live in the south, North Carolina to be exact. I would
like to put some plants on my patio, perhaps some vine type plants and
other flowering plants to cover up the incredible ugly iron gate which
is there.

To this add that I have cats so I need to be careful to put plants
that are safe for comsumption for cats, should they get out. With all
that said, as I am new to plants and gardening does anyone have any
ideas or recommendations for Cat Safe, easy care and full sun tolerant
plants for one's patio?

Sun-tolerant is easy -- almost any flowering plant or herb. Trumpet
vine is a pretty wildflower that should cover your gate quickly.

http://www.scienceu.com/library/arti...mpet_vine.html

As for cat-safe -- just look up the plants you're attracted to, and
check for toxicity. Cats differ (understatement of the year!) -- mine
isn't a plant-nibbler, but some are.

I just stumbled across this site:

http://wellness.ucdavis.edu/safety_i...of_plants.html

IMHO, very few landscape plants are toxic, and those that are, are
well-known.

With hot summers and full sun, your main problem may be keeping plants
in pots sufficiently watered. Once or even twice a day may be required
in hot weather. Also, top up the pots after a windy day -- that
increases evaporation both from soil and plants.

Geraniums, thyme, and lamb's ears. Marigolds. Small ornamental chiles
and patio tomatoes. Basil.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Gary

I have an outdoor cat, and she eats a little grass once in a while, but I've
never seen her do anything but smell the other plants. I always figured
that they wouldn't eat something that they thought would be harmful.
Gary

wrote:

[...]

http://wellness.ucdavis.edu/safety_i..._care_with_pla
nts/toxicity_of_plants.html

Old 16-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Registered User

Hot summers, plenty of sunshine, your main problem may be to maintain sufficient water potted plants. Once, even twice a day may be required in hot weather. In addition, the complement, the windy days of pots - which can increase the soil evaporation and plant.
Pond Pumps
Old 17-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered User

There are many types of trees and plants to provide personalized help private paradise. For example, mix and match a variety of sizes and composition of clay containers to create your one of a kind look. One of our favorite tree is container gardening garden bonfire peach The thing is that will not harm your cats.
Kitchen