Old 12-02-2006, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Floyd

Default Hops

Anyone tried growing their own hops for brewing? I'm in Scotland and
haven't heard of anyone growing them around here.

Thanks,

Floyd
--
http://www.smellyhound.com

Old 12-02-2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Floyd wrote:
Anyone tried growing their own hops for brewing? I'm in Scotland and
haven't heard of anyone growing them around here.

Thanks,

Floyd

From what I know of the climate in Scotland, I am thinking some
variety of hops will grow nicely their. It certainly grows well
here in Wisconsin in the USA... and we get similar weather in
many parts of the state.

Later,

Thad

Old 13-02-2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

I dont know what your weather is like, but when I was stationed in Germany,
they grew a lot of them. I was at Hof/Saale near the E. German/Czech
border.

Dwayne

Old 13-02-2006, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Scotland is a maritime climate, wetter and milder in both winter and
summer than Wisconsin. It's the windiest part of the UK (not ideal for
tall frames).

It has long dark winters, cool wet summers and a short growing
season. Although hops will survive here, (the golden leaf one is often
grown as a garden ornamental) they aren't grown for brewing in Scotland
because the short growing season doesn't guarantee flower ripening.

Weather in Wisconsin varies greatly across the state. The northern
area has harsher winter than the southern, and the eastern part is
greatly effected by lake Michigan. I live in the south eastern
part of the state, which tends to cooler and wetter because of the
lake effect. Not a perfect match to Scotland perhaps, but probably
more like it than other parts. Hops do well here, so I suspect
some variety would also do well there... though I admit it is an
educated guess. Just be sure to pick a variety with an early
flowering period and plant it next to a south facing wall.

It is worth a try at least. Good luck.

Thad

[IMG] code is On

Hops? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 145 10-03-2004 04:18 AM
Hops? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 1 02-03-2004 04:14 AM
Growing hops? Shelley Gardening 1 02-03-2004 03:02 AM
Hops compost Mark Edible Gardening 3 03-02-2004 03:55 PM
Advice on hops JimM United Kingdom 8 22-04-2003 12:44 PM