Old 30-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Dave Strasz

Default Adding Worms to Garden

An overnight rain forced worms on to paved surfaces. I've read where this
occurs mostly in April and November as worms seem to be near the surface. I
collected several hundred from a parking lot and a tennis court. They
include many "night crawlers" to 6" or 8" plus many smaller worms. Can I
add these to my garden with the expectation that some will survive and
multiply? My garden is still dormant with a layer of top soil over shredded
leaf debris over grass clippings, with each layer about 2" to 3" thick at
the time of application last fall.

Thank you.

Old 30-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Rob Smith

If they were alive when you picked them up, then they should stay alive when
you put them back in the ground. The bait shops around here collect
nightcrawlers at night and put them in big dirt&leaf-filled boxes, and the
worms stay alive in the boxes all year.

But you might want to loosen the soil up a little where you release the
worms. That way they can get back under ground and survive.

Hope this helps,

--
Rob Smith, NY
www.allwoodwork.com

Old 30-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Fred Garvin

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 11:03:17 -0500, Dave Strasz wrote:

An overnight rain forced worms on to paved surfaces. I've read where this
occurs mostly in April and November as worms seem to be near the surface.
I collected several hundred from a parking lot and a tennis court.
They include many "night crawlers" to 6" or 8" plus many smaller worms.
Can I add these to my garden with the expectation that some will survive
and multiply? My garden is still dormant with a layer of top soil over
shredded leaf debris over grass clippings, with each layer about 2" to 3"
thick at the time of application last fall.

Thank you.

Sure you can do that!

Just keep adding organic matter to the soil and the worms will magically
start showing up and infiltrate the garden!
Old 31-03-2003, 01:56 AM
simy1

"Dave Strasz" wrote in message ...
An overnight rain forced worms on to paved surfaces. I've read where this
occurs mostly in April and November as worms seem to be near the surface. I
collected several hundred from a parking lot and a tennis court. They
include many "night crawlers" to 6" or 8" plus many smaller worms. Can I
add these to my garden with the expectation that some will survive and
multiply? My garden is still dormant with a layer of top soil over shredded
leaf debris over grass clippings, with each layer about 2" to 3" thick at
the time of application last fall.

Thank you.

Yes,this will help you and will help them. They will dig in the
remaining debris, and will get fat in the process. I collect them from
my driveway in May when it is time to put out the houseplants. Then i
give the houseplants some manure and they take care of the rest. As
long as they have something to eat they will stick around.
Old 31-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Snooze

"Dave Strasz" wrote in message
An overnight rain forced worms on to paved surfaces. I've read where this
occurs mostly in April and November as worms seem to be near the surface.

collected several hundred from a parking lot and a tennis court. They
include many "night crawlers" to 6" or 8" plus many smaller worms. Can I
add these to my garden with the expectation that some will survive and
multiply? My garden is still dormant with a layer of top soil over

shredded
leaf debris over grass clippings, with each layer about 2" to 3" thick at
the time of application last fall.

You probably don't have to add worms to your soil, they are probably already
in the soil. It sounds like the soil has enough food to keep 'em happy. But
if you feel the desire, just toss 'em about the yard, and loosely cover them
with some soil.

Sameer