Old 30-03-2003, 06:56 PM
spampot

Default Can/should I move common speedwell to between flagstones?

My van Bourgondien catalogue recommends, among other things, Turkish
Veronica as a rugged creeper for use in rock gardens on sunlit paths.
At a cost of $8 per plant. The picture doesn't look that different from
the common speedwell that is now blooming in the DC/Baltimore metro
area. Can I just move whatever local stuff I find into my flagstone
path? That is, of course I know I CAN, but will it serve to keep out
other weeds and behve just like the expensive stuff?

Old 31-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Cereoid+10+

There are several different creeping annual Veronica species currently
flowering in the DC/Baltimore metro area. If you look at them carefully, you
will see differences in the flowers, inflorescence, fruit capsules, leaf
shape and pubescence.

The "Turkish Veronica" to which you allude is probably a perennial species.
Since several different species of Veronica occur in Turkey, could you
provide tha actual species name?

The annual species will die before summer but the perennials will persist.
The latter are sometimes used as ground cover.

Old 31-03-2003, 10:56 AM
spampot

Cereoid+10+ wrote:
There are several different creeping annual Veronica species currently
flowering in the DC/Baltimore metro area. If you look at them carefully, you
will see differences in the flowers, inflorescence, fruit capsules, leaf
shape and pubescence.

The "Turkish Veronica" to which you allude is probably a perennial species.
Since several different species of Veronica occur in Turkey, could you
provide tha actual species name?

Veronica liwanensis.

The annual species will die before summer but the perennials will persist.
The latter are sometimes used as ground cover.

Ah, I see. Thanks for pointing this out.

Old 31-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Cereoid+10+

Is this your Turkish Veronica?

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/p...dem/Z750.shtml

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/psel/ps9705.html

Old 01-04-2003, 01:08 AM
spampot

These both look like the photos in my catalogue, thanks. The main
difference between these and what I see growing wild is that the local
stuff has single blossoms instead of the clusters shown here, and the
flowers aren't as thick or mat-like (i.e. there are more leaves than
flowers).

spampot wrote in message

My van Bourgondien catalogue recommends, among other things, Turkish
Veronica as a rugged creeper for use in rock gardens on sunlit paths.
At a cost of $8 per plant. The picture doesn't look that different from
the common speedwell that is now blooming in the DC/Baltimore metro
area. Can I just move whatever local stuff I find into my flagstone
path? That is, of course I know I CAN, but will it serve to keep out
other weeds and behve just like the expensive stuff?

[IMG] code is On

Speedwell & Lawns Rick... (The other Rick) United Kingdom 0 24-05-2010 04:30 PM
speedwell in lawns derek r Lawns 2 19-04-2009 04:51 AM
Can I put sod between flagstones on patio? [email protected] Gardening 2 31-10-2005 07:39 PM
What to plant between flagstones? Mike Patterson Ponds 15 19-06-2004 01:02 PM
how much, what kind of soil for plants between flagstones in patio anne in los angeles Gardening 5 14-06-2003 03:44 PM