Old 13-02-2006, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Pettway

Default Planting Berry Bushes

I live in the Knoxville, TN area. I would like to plant a blueberry bush or
two. When would you suggest I plant these? Any special suggestions or
comments about blueberry bushes?

Jim Pettway

Old 13-02-2006, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

In Knoxville you should be able to to use the Northern type
Blueberries. They do need an acidic soil. Lots of limestine in East
Tennesee, so that may be a problem. You may have to acidify your soil
each year. In a climate where the ground freezes, I prefer to plant in
the fall. However if you use potted plants, Spring planting is ok, but
you have to baby them the first year.
http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/blueberry.html
http://www.uga.edu/fruit/bluberi.htm

Old 13-02-2006, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Fiddler

Hi Jim,

Here is a link that might help. This is where I'm buying mine from
this year. I have tried multiple varieties and soil ammendments in
Memphis with little success. These guys seem to have a pretty good
system (At least on paper).

I hope this helps: www.watersblueberryfarm.com

Best of Luck,

Bob Sawyer

Old 13-02-2006, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

I'm near Knoxville and have done countless soil testing for several
properties--all very acidic. I also do a lot of mountain hiking and
there are many wild blueberries. Out soil is generally clay.
Blueberry bushes can be purchase in late winter in local stores. Mix
cotton meal into the soil and mulch with old partially rotted sawdust
or peat moss. Watch for loss of green in the leaves ("anemia") then
feed with an acidic fertilizer at half strength, and then only when
the plant has been established (about a year). Blueberry roots are
very tender. Plant 3 or 4 varieties 4 feet apart for improved yields.
You will have to use plastic bird netting.
Old 14-02-2006, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Chuckie

Wood ash Is a good material to put around the bushes.
By the way Phisherman its been a long time since I have seen you around
here.
Good to see you.
Chuckie in the Frozen North, Zone 5

Old 14-02-2006, 10:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

On 13 Feb 2006 18:08:37 -0800
"Chuckie" wrote:

Wood ash Is a good material to put around the bushes.

With respect, wouldn't wood ash be exactly the wrong thing
to put around blueberry bushes? As I understand it, they
are acidophile and ash will make the soil alkaline.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 14-02-2006, 11:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
KCnRichmond

Wood ash raises Ph.

Old 14-02-2006, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:49:33 GMT
"KCnRichmond" wrote:

Wood ash raises Ph.

That's what I think I said! And blueberries like low PH, no?

-E

Old 14-02-2006, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sue Burnham

Emery, you are exactly right.

Lots of folks think " wood ash for blueberries", because they see acres and
acres of blueberry barrens burned over in the spring.

Not thinking that the burning is to keep down competing weed, brush, and
insect pests, they think " ashes are good for blueberries, after all look
at all that burned over territory".

it is thinking, but not necessarily "right on" thinking. I'll give them
the benefit of the doubt.

Mostly, when people understand that burning the blueberry barrens is to make
manual harvest easier by eliminating other vegetation ( weeds and brush that
contaminate the harvest), killing weed seed on top of the ground,
controlling insect populations that may irrupt.... both insects that may
harm the harvest by their own damage AND insects that may attract a heavy
bird predation to the harvest area... Burning over a blueberry field also
eliminates some flowering weeds that could reduce the pollination of
blueberries by the leased bee hives.

Once folks know WHY the acreages are burned, they understand the
different cultural practices between " commercial/wild" and " backyard".

Yeah I know someone is gonna jump me for even giving credence to the
"commercial/wild" blueberry industry. So just go here

http://tinyurl.com/7f9l3 and send your feedback to the industry, not to
the messenger.

In one's backyard.... plant in acidic, lean, sandy or good draining soil,
mulch with leaves and wood chips to keep down weeds, consider netting
against deer and birds, and pray for good weather at blooming time so the
bees can do their work.

Blueberries bloom early ( here in Maine z5, in late May). If there is
cold, rain ( or even snow) after the spring thaw when blueberries are wont
to bloom, pollination will be affected if the bees aren't active Not a
thing you can do about it except keep good cultural practice and hope for
better weather next year.

The Vaccinium sp are quite fussy customers in cultivation, and I've found
that its more work to make them happy where they don't want to grow, then to
go find them when ripe where they are happy. For me, thats a really short
walk.

Breeze
Western Maine

"Chuckie" wrote:

Wood ash Is a good material to put around the bushes.

With respect, wouldn't wood ash be exactly the wrong thing
to put around blueberry bushes? As I understand it, they
are acidophile and ash will make the soil alkaline.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom
by removing the well known companies

[IMG] code is On

Berry bushes SteveB[_6_] Edible Gardening 0 16-10-2008 10:21 PM
Berry bushes SteveB[_6_] Gardening 1 16-10-2008 08:34 PM
Re-planting Peony Bushes Denny Gardening 5 06-05-2006 03:06 PM
Source for berry bushes? Akbar North Carolina 11 30-04-2004 05:06 PM
planting forsythia bushes mike Gardening 35 15-03-2004 11:36 PM