Old 14-02-2006, 08:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
PAM KINGDON

Default Barberry Bushes

Folks,

I'm looking for information on planting barberry bushes specifically the type of soil they typically need, etc. Hopefully my area would be suitable for a border around our property line in order to curtail
traffic across our yard. Thanks.

--
PAM KINGDON
Old 14-02-2006, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
told2b

PAM KINGDON wrote:
Folks,

I'm looking for information on planting barberry bushes specifically the type of soil they typically need, etc. Hopefully my area would be suitable for a border around our property line in order to curtail
traffic across our yard. Thanks.

8.28.030 Barberry bushes prohibited.
It is a nuisance and unlawful to plant or permit the growth or the bush
of the species of tall, common or european barberry, further known as
Barberis vulgaris or its horticultural varieties within the city.
(Prior code § 27.403.)

Check with your town or city. Japanese (red or green) barberry
is widely adaptable and does not usually fall victim to 'rust.'
HTH

Old 15-02-2006, 08:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
presley

nasty scratchy things............
(I have taken many a barberry thorn through a glove while pruning)
"told2b" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 15-02-2006, 11:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
John Wheeler

I attended a seminar on invasive plants in Mid-Atlantic area, and barberry
was one. That gave me a good reason to get rid of the one I had. Last
Fall, I dug it up and planted a tree peony in its place. Looking forward to
watching the peony grow. One good thing about the barberry--birds liked its
protectiveness, especially in the winter.

--
_________________
John Henry Wheeler
"presley" wrote in message
nasty scratchy things............
(I have taken many a barberry thorn through a glove while pruning)
"told2b" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 17-02-2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"John Wheeler" wrote in message
I attended a seminar on invasive plants in Mid-Atlantic area, and barberry
was one. That gave me a good reason to get rid of the one I had. Last
Fall, I dug it up and planted a tree peony in its place. Looking forward
to watching the peony grow. One good thing about the barberry--birds liked
its protectiveness, especially in the winter.

It definitely *is* worth checking into, because if you're in an area where
they're not considered a nuisance, they can be wonderful plants. Not easy to
trim, though. But, they're one of the best ways of keeping dogs and other
trash from passing through certain border areas.