Old 14-02-2006, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
tenplay

Default Replacing old lawn with ground cover or garden

I have a large lawn that continues around the front, back and one side
of our house. And it looks bad with clumps of crab grass, weeds and
some bald spots. Basically all I've done for the past few years is mow
every other week and weed sporadically when I am not working or away on
trips. I am throwing in the towel with maintaining a large lawn and
would like to try something else that would make it more presentable and
easier to maintain. Our kids are grown and gone, so no one really uses
the lawn.

A friend suggested replacing all or most of the lawn with ground cover,
which sounds promising. Is it possible to start it in an existing
lawn, and have it take over, or do I need to tear up all the sod and
start all over? Another suggestion was to tear out the lawn and replace
it with plants and trees. Maybe but it sounds like a lot of work and
expense. I should mention that I live in Western Washington, where we
experience A LOT of rain. Thanks for any suggestions or advice. Mike
Old 15-02-2006, 09:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"tenplay" wrote in message

[...]

I used Roundup to kill most of the grass in my backyard and
covered it with wood chips I got for free from one of those tree
service companies.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 15-02-2006, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank

Sounds to me like you are mowing too infrequently and possibly scalping
lawn when you do. Then you need premerge for crabgrass, fall reseeding
and need fertilizer.
Ground cover needs care too and a well established lawn, cut once a
week at the proper level is not that hard to maintain. I have a
neighbor that struggles with his, letting it grow too high before
cutting. Takes him much longer and he must bag clippings for garbage
man. Frequent cutting and mulching clippings, only takes me 1.5
hours/week on slightly less than one acre very slopey lot.
Frank

Old 15-02-2006, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom Jaszewski

and you manged to kill the soil biology as well....

Old 16-02-2006, 09:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

wrote:

I used Roundup to kill most of the grass in my backyard and
covered it with wood chips I got for free from one of those
tree
service companies.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Doesn't look dead from my window. Wanna come over and have a
look?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5