Old 16-02-2006, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
higgledy

Default root stimulator

I am planting some herbs indoors. I know that it is way early, but I am
experimenting with about 24 Jiffy-Pellets and a few herbs like basil,
cilantro, and marojorm. (I am getting excited for spring)
Is it a good idea to use root stimulator? I used it to expand the
pellets. The basil and marojarm sprouted within 3 days. It has been 6
days but have not seen any cilantro sprouts. Should I cantinue to water
with a solution of root stimulator?

Also, for grow lights. Can I use normal flourescent tubes or should I
buy special plant light tubes?

Old 17-02-2006, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Timothy

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:53:48 -0800, higgledy wrote:

I am planting some herbs indoors. I know that it is way early, but I am
experimenting with about 24 Jiffy-Pellets and a few herbs like basil,
cilantro, and marojorm. (I am getting excited for spring) Is it a good
idea to use root stimulator? I used it to expand the pellets. The basil
and marojarm sprouted within 3 days. It has been 6 days but have not seen
any cilantro sprouts. Should I cantinue to water with a solution of root
stimulator?

Also, for grow lights. Can I use normal flourescent tubes or should I buy
special plant light tubes?

Good day higgledy. I doubt that root stimulator will have much effect on
the sprouting times of your seeds. Look on the cilantro seed package to
see how long the seed takes to sprout. 6 days may not be long enough.

It's o.k. to start your herbs this early indoors. You will want to keep a
watchful eye on them and "pot them up" to larger pots soon. Put them in 4
inch pots, peat plug and all, and cover them with potting soil. Just cover
the peat plug, don't plant them deeper than the plug. This can cause
trouble. After a few weeks in a 4 inch pot, they may need to be potted up
again to a 1 gallon pot. The goal is to not to have the roots constricted.
As the herbs grow, pinching the tops may help with their hight and
branching.

For grow lights you can use flourescent tubes with no problems. Make sure
you keep the lights as close to the plants as possible. Other wise the
plants will get "leggy" as they strech for the light. You can use plant
lights if you wish, or you can cheat and go the cheaper route. Buy one
plain old shop light and a "kitchen and bath" light. Place one of each in
your light fixture. The shop light will give you the blue light your
plants need, while the kitchen and bath light will give you the red light
your plants need. Together they make pretty good full spectrum lighting.

Good luck and good day.......

--
http://resources.ywgc.com

Old 17-02-2006, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
higgledy

I bought the shop light. I got one soft white tube and one tube that I
cannot remember right now but it has a redish glow compared to the soft
white tube. I also have an incandescent plant bulb, should I turn this
on too?

I have these plants in my finished basement, about 68 degrees F, all
the time. Is this warm enough?

As far as root stimulator, a local nursery owner told me that is how
they get there tomatoe plants to have such terrific roots, they are
bounded in the cups. But a soild root is ideal for tomatoes.

Old 18-02-2006, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander

When I grew cilantro it took 10 days to get the first sprout and 14 days to
get 2/3 germination. My temperature was about 72F, so at 68F your seeds
will take longer.

Andrew

news

Old 18-02-2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Layne

A heating pad would be a good idea. Just make sure to check the
watering as the soil will dry faster. A heating pad for germinating
seeds will keep the soil several degrees above ambient temps and help
keep the roots warm and help them grow.

Layne

Old 18-02-2006, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Timothy

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 16:01:10 +0000, Layne wrote:

A heating pad would be a good idea. Just make sure to check the watering
as the soil will dry faster. A heating pad for germinating seeds will keep
the soil several degrees above ambient temps and help keep the roots warm
and help them grow.
Layne

I'm too poor (really I'm too cheap!) for a heating pad. Seeing as seeds
need more heat than light, I put a florescent light on the table, floor
facing up. I place my seed trays on top of the light fixture.The mild heat
from the light is good enough to warm the soil, but not hot enough to hurt
anything. Ofcourse you must not water the flats while _on_ the light or
you'll get a good zap... but this does work.

--
http://resources.ywgc.com/photo/

[IMG] code is On

New root from an external root? Mike Orchids 10 01-01-2005 08:34 PM
Bud stimulator mtk Gardening 2 21-07-2003 10:03 PM
[IBC] Crasulla - Jade - To root prune or not to root prune Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 0 29-04-2003 02:32 AM
root rot bb Orchids 4 08-02-2003 02:49 PM
Root pruning David in Liverpool Orchids 2 31-01-2003 02:14 AM