Old 18-02-2006, 05:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sharon

Default Crown of Thorns

Can anyone tell me the name of the plant that was Jesus' crown of thorns? I
have heard of the Crown of Thorns plant, but have read it probably wasn't
this plant that was made into "crown" for His head. I am a Christian and
would love to know what kind of plant they put on Him, because I want to buy
myself one.

Thanks for any help,

Sharon

Old 18-02-2006, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

The plant popularly called the "Crown of Thorns" is Euphorbia milii var.
splendens from Madagascar was discovered in the 1800's and has absolutely
nothing at all to do with the passion of the Christ. The common name for the
plant is little more than a shrewd marketing ploy. In Asia, the plant is
called Poysean and has a different religious significance there as a "good
luck" plant.

The supposed "crown of thorns" mentioned in the bible was made from some
unspecified thorny shrub of which there are several found in the Middle
East. It is often presumed the plant was Ziziphus spina-christi but there is
no real proof of that. The species name was coined in the 1700's. It is not
grown as a house plant.

Old 18-02-2006, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sharon

et...

"Sharon" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me the name of the plant that was Jesus' crown of thorns?
I have heard of the Crown of Thorns plant, but have read it probably
wasn't this plant that was made into "crown" for His head. I am a
Christian and would love to know what kind of plant they put on Him,
because I want to buy myself one.

Thanks for any help,

Sharon

Thank you very much, I was about to waste money on something that had
nothing to do with Jesus at the time of His death.

Thanks again,
Sharon

Old 18-02-2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:57:43 -0500, "Sharon"
wrote:

. net...

"Sharon" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me the name of the plant that was Jesus' crown of thorns?
I have heard of the Crown of Thorns plant, but have read it probably
wasn't this plant that was made into "crown" for His head. I am a
Christian and would love to know what kind of plant they put on Him,
because I want to buy myself one.

Thanks for any help,

Sharon

Thank you very much, I was about to waste money on something that had
nothing to do with Jesus at the time of His death.

Thanks again,
Sharon

I have the "Crown of Thorns" plant. It is interesting and has started
conversations about Jesus in my household so my personal experience is
that it is tied to Him. I put my Crown of Thorns on a sunny deck
where it produces an abundance of deep red primitive flowers that
attract hummingbirds. Withholding water produces an entirely
different looking plant. This plant can get out of hand so I trim it
once a year--this trimming is a messy project as with many Euphorbias
they bleed white sap. Cuttings root easily.

Speaking about biblical plants. I have an herb plant called rue that
is quite interesting. It has leaves that are three lobed, I guess
this represents the Trinity. I have this plant primarily due to the
odor it produces--cats hate it and stay out of my garden.
Old 18-02-2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Charles

wrote:

.net...

"Sharon" wrote in message
[...]

Try Passion vine. Lots of stories are made up about it, and if you
get the right kind you can eat the fruit.

Old 18-02-2006, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
kate

Phisherman wrote:

Speaking about biblical plants. I have an herb plant called rue that
is quite interesting. It has leaves that are three lobed, I guess
this represents the Trinity. I have this plant primarily due to the
odor it produces--cats hate it and stay out of my garden.

Do you have a lot of Rue? I have 2 rue plants and it hasn't stopped my
cats (however, they're invited and currently munch on the oats, which
have yet to be winter killed.)

Kate

Old 19-02-2006, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Phisherman" wrote in message

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:57:43 -0500, "Sharon"
wrote:

"Cereus-validus-..........."
wrote
in message
et...

"Sharon" wrote in message
[...]

Here is your Rue:
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/r/rue---20.html

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 19-02-2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Chuckie

The Bible states that the crown was made of thorns. I have not seen the
crown of thorns plant but I sure it could Hybrid from an original plant
that could have posibly been the plant that was used to form the crown
of thorns that Jesus was adorned with.
All I think is that whoever made was nuts because that had to hurt
trying to form a crown from a thorny plant.
Chuckie in the Frozen North, Zone 5

Old 19-02-2006, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sharon

"Chuckie" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Bible states that the crown was made of thorns. I have not seen the
crown of thorns plant but I sure it could Hybrid from an original plant
that could have posibly been the plant that was used to form the crown
of thorns that Jesus was adorned with.
All I think is that whoever made was nuts because that had to hurt
trying to form a crown from a thorny plant.
Chuckie in the Frozen North, Zone 5

The reason I wanted that plant was not because I wanted something that was
used to torment my Savior (as someone suggested earlier.) I just wanted
something here today that I could have, something He came in contact with.
I had a near death experience and have been enthralled by Jesus ever since.
Thank you Chuckie for your reply, I never thought of that plant being a
hybrid.

Warmly,
Sharon

Old 19-02-2006, 03:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Chuckie

Yes whatever the plant is or where it comes from does not matter but
what it sybolizes is the suffering of Jesus and his great love for the
people of this planet. Who could ask for more?
I may look into getting one for my garden.
If you are interested in the dicussion of Jesus and the other books of
the holy scripture check out the google group True Thinking Through
Gods Word.
This is a new group.
Chuckie

Old 19-02-2006, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill

In article , jmmorgan80
@anywhereusa.net says...

"Chuckie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Well, my money would be on some type of Acacia for being used for
the crown.

"Acacia (Hebrew shittim) Exo 25:5, R.V. probably the Acacia seyal
(the gum-arabic tree); called the "shittah" tree (Isa 41:19). Its
wood is called shittim wood (Exo 26:15, Exo 26:26; Exo 25:10, Exo
25:13, Exo 25:23, Exo 25:28, etc.). This species (A. seyal) is like
the hawthorn, a gnarled and thorny tree. It yields the gum-arabic of
commerce. It is found in abundance in the Sinaitic peninsula."

http://www.biblepicturegallery.com/Pictures/Trees.htm

http://users.1st.net/fischer/SHORT07.HTM

Bill

Old 19-02-2006, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

For someone who is such an obnoxious prick, you sure are clueless about
thorny plants, Chuckles.

Then again, what would a Canucklehead from the Frozen North know about
Middle Eastern desert plants anyway?

oups.com...

Old 19-02-2006, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Just ignore Chuckles. He is just a blithering idiot troll.

There is no reason for the plant to have been a hybrid of any kind.

"Sharon" wrote in message
. ..

oups.com...

Old 19-02-2006, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Like I said previously, there are several Middle Eastern spiny shrubs that
the "crown of thorns" could have been made from.

There really is no point in trying to guess which one it actually was at
this late date.

"Bill" wrote in message
In article , jmmorgan80
@anywhereusa.net says...