Old 19-02-2006, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tony

Default Need Aphid Advice

Hi All,

I have a cedar bush in my back yard. I do not know what
it is called, but it is blueish green, about 25 foot tall, one
of those bushes people like to trim into various shapes.

Problem: it has aphids. And, it has a HUGE colony of ants
farming the aphids. And, and, a HUMONGOUS squadron on yellow
jackets farming the ants. YIKES!!!!

I figure, if I can get rid of the ahpids, I will loose the
ants and the yellow jackets. Is there any NON-HUMAN TOXIC way
of driving the aphids away? Something that will make the bush
not so yummy to them? Something I can pour into the bush's
water supply? Something that doesn't rot the eyes out of my
head when I spray it on?

Many thanks,
--Tony

Old 19-02-2006, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Snooze

"Tony" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have a cedar bush in my back yard. Problem: it has aphids.
I figure, if I can get rid of the ahpids, I will loose the
ants and the yellow jackets. Is there any NON-HUMAN TOXIC way
of driving the aphids away?

There are systemic pesticides, that the plant absorbs, and it kills or
reduces the aphid populations. Such as
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/garden/...tails.cfm?id=3

Not sure if that falls in your threshold of non-human toxic controls.

If you can control the ants, then natural aphid predators, such as ladybugs
can take care of the aphids easily.
Otherwise there's the hose them off method, which rarely seems to be
effective enough for me, but worth a try. Or insecticidal soap, maybe if you
mix Palmolive in one of those miracle-gro type hose sprayer attachments, it
should be able to spray most of the plant, not sure if it will reach 25'

Good luck.

Old 19-02-2006, 12:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

That's a complete waste of time and money.

May as well take them out for dinner and dancing too!!!!

Just blast them off with a hose.

"Snooze" wrote in message
et...

Old 19-02-2006, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 17:24:46 -0800, Tony wrote:

Hi All,

I have a cedar bush in my back yard. I do not know what
it is called, but it is blueish green, about 25 foot tall, one
of those bushes people like to trim into various shapes.

Problem: it has aphids. And, it has a HUGE colony of ants
farming the aphids. And, and, a HUMONGOUS squadron on yellow
jackets farming the ants. YIKES!!!!

I figure, if I can get rid of the ahpids, I will loose the
ants and the yellow jackets. Is there any NON-HUMAN TOXIC way
of driving the aphids away? Something that will make the bush
not so yummy to them? Something I can pour into the bush's
water supply? Something that doesn't rot the eyes out of my
head when I spray it on?

Many thanks,
--Tony

Personally, I'd use Wasp/Hornet spray close to sunset when the hornets
are settled down for the day. These sprays shoot 10 to 15 feet. The
next day you might see some hornet activity; if so, repeat the
application. This is somewhat toxic, but very effective--who wants to
get stung?

After the hornets are gone use a forceful spray from the garden hose
on the bush. A teaspoon of dishwashing liquid in a qt of warm water
makes a good spray too. Dusting the bush with fine wood ashes will
also kill the aphids by dehydration. Chickadees and wrens feast on
aphids. Aphids reproduce very quickly and may spread plant viruses. My
Rose of Sharon hedge has aphids but it also has a large ladybug
population keeping the aphids in check.

Old 20-02-2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Tony" wrote in message

Hi All,

I have a cedar bush in my back yard. I do not know what
it is called, but it is blueish green, about 25 foot tall, one
of those bushes people like to trim into various shapes.

Problem: it has aphids. And, it has a HUGE colony of ants
farming the aphids. And, and, a HUMONGOUS squadron on yellow
jackets farming the ants. YIKES!!!!

I figure, if I can get rid of the ahpids, I will loose the
ants and the yellow jackets. Is there any NON-HUMAN TOXIC way
of driving the aphids away? Something that will make the bush
not so yummy to them? Something I can pour into the bush's
water supply? Something that doesn't rot the eyes out of my
head when I spray it on?

Many thanks,
--Tony

Never heard of a "cedar bush". Post a picture in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 23-02-2006, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom Jaszewski

Interesting that you somehow think that has anything to do with
aphids....

Plain old soap and oil will get the aphids. Precede with a strong
spray down. I would be wise to whack the ants and yellow jackets
first!

Old 24-02-2006, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

wrote:

Never heard of a "cedar bush". Post a picture in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

Interesting that you somehow think that has anything to do with
aphids....

Plain old soap and oil will get the aphids. Precede with a
strong
spray down. I would be wise to whack the ants and yellow
jackets
first!

I never said it did. I just want to see a picture of a "cedar
bush".

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 24-02-2006, 01:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom Jaszewski

--

Why should the poster give a rat about posting a picture when you
couldn't type two more sentences giving a direct answer? Then again
Old 25-02-2006, 07:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

wrote:

I never said it did. I just want to see a picture of a
"cedar
bush".

--

Why should the poster give a rat about posting a picture when
you
couldn't type two more sentences giving a direct answer? Then
again
it's painfully obvious from most posts you're nothing more than
bored hobbyist.....

I am not bored.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 25-02-2006, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mel M Kelly

3 to 5 tbs. of sulphur to a gallon of water and spray the plant a couple
of times. It will get the aphids, run the ants off and the plant will
love it.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 26-02-2006, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom Jaszewski

Poor advise and a dumb idea!
Could Steveski be right about webtv?

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:55:27 -0500, (Mel M Kelly)
wrote:

3 to 5 tbs. of sulphur to a gallon of water and spray the plant a couple
of times. It will get the aphids, run the ants off and the plant will
love it.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 01-03-2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
RAINDEAR

but will not the systemic pesticides also wipe out the ladybeetles?

i have used the following method for years and have been very successful
with it (except when it comes to GUAVA, since they have their own variety of
ants):

at night time, when the yellowjackets are not around (i have a fatal allergy
to them so i like to avoid them at all costs!!), i take a flashlight and
wander around the garden looking for aphids...there seems to be a variety of
coloured ones these days ...i must assume it is a type of camouflage...?? at
any rate, when i DO find a colony, i put on a pair of surgical gloves (or
those rubber gloves if i'm working on rose bushes) and squish the aphids
where they lie slurping up the sap from the plant(s) they're covering. i
flick whatever ants are in the area off the various leaves and then......i
LEAVE the dead aphids ON the plant.

i've discovered when the new day comes and new aphids fly in to take over
the next shift (so to say) ;o), they literally WILL NOT touch down upon
plants where their dead buddies lay squished upon the stems and leaves.

of course, it is necessary to repeat the procedure when the dead and
squished ones fall off or are washed off by rainfall....but usually by then,
the ladybeetles have come to the rescue somehow alerted by the sight or
scent or whatever..? and ladybeetle larva can be quite voracious.

ok. that's the end of "gypsy's organic advice" for this day (albeit twelve
days later--but then, for those of us in my zone {usda zoneNH4a}, we have
yet to encounter our ground much less worry about 6-leggers yet.)
--
With Malus toward none, and Cherry-Trees toward all.