Old 20-02-2006, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
higgledy

Default white pine

2 years ago I bought 3 white pines (about 4 feet tall) One died same
year. After digging it out I noticed that when balled, the grower
severly cut the center root. I believe this caused the tree failure.
The remaining 2 trees have not grown an inch. I believe their center
roots have been cut too. Is there anything that I can do to turn this
trees around? I treated both with liquid root stimulator last spring,
but no growth.

Old 20-02-2006, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Wolf Kirchmeir

higgledy wrote:
2 years ago I bought 3 white pines (about 4 feet tall) One died same
year. After digging it out I noticed that when balled, the grower
severly cut the center root. I believe this caused the tree failure.
The remaining 2 trees have not grown an inch. I believe their center
roots have been cut too. Is there anything that I can do to turn this
trees around? I treated both with liquid root stimulator last spring,
but no growth.

a) transplanted trees of any species can take several years to start
growing, and the bigger they are at transplanting, the longer it seems
to take. Be patient. The fact that they've survived thus far is a good
sign. Also, white pines can be very slow growers in anything other than
"perfect" conditions. They're adapted to survive a wide range of soils,
light conditions, and microclimates. I have one at the back of my lot
that is now about ten years old, and it's barely doubled in height since
it was planted. Mind you, it's growing on a rock pile... :-)

b) pines like acid soil, so test the soil, and give them some acid
fertiliser if needed.

HTH
Old 20-02-2006, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
higgledy

How do I test the soil? I use Hollytone on other acid-loving plants. I
guess I can use that on the white pines too.

Old 21-02-2006, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

"higgledy" wrote:

How do I test the soil?

With a soil test kit. They are do-it-yourself kits sold at nurseries,
home centers and hardware stores. Also, most extension agents have soil
test kits where you send the soil in for analysis. This is a more
thorough test.

They test for N, P, K and pH. (sodium, phosphorus, potassium, and
acidity)
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6
Old 21-02-2006, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Wolf Kirchmeir

higgledy wrote:
How do I test the soil? I use Hollytone on other acid-loving plants. I
guess I can use that on the white pines too.

Your local garden supply store should have soil testing kits.

Old 24-02-2006, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jack

Get your soil tested by the local extension. its worth the $10.
Pinching new growth helps the tree out as well.
Pines are slow vertical growers.
Also, if you are getting pine weevils killing the main leader, use some
merit. It can cause spider mites, but will help kill the weevils.

oups.com...