Old 21-02-2006, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
M.E.

Default weed abatement

I have a good size garden that I am fortunate enough to have a tractor
dig up so I can start again this spring from scratch . The past two
years I pulled weeds, used mulch, and did basically did not use any
type chemicals. I did let everything go last year so I am starting all
over. Before I start planting again, does anyone have any opinions
about weed control -organic or not???? I will plant vegetables in the
majority of it and then some flowers. The grass is the biggest problem.

Old 21-02-2006, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

M.E. wrote:
I have a good size garden that I am fortunate enough to have a tractor
dig up so I can start again this spring from scratch . The past two
years I pulled weeds, used mulch, and did basically did not use any
type chemicals. I did let everything go last year so I am starting all
over. Before I start planting again, does anyone have any opinions
about weed control -organic or not???? I will plant vegetables in the
majority of it and then some flowers. The grass is the biggest problem.

We use newspaper between the rows and up and around the plants
themselves. About four layers seem to do the trick and keep 99% of the
weeds from coming up. We hand hoe until the weather consistently stays
at 70F or higher and then lay the papers down. Don't use advertising
inserts as I'm not sure of the ink source for them. Newsprint is
generally just carbon black in a soy oil base and the comics use a dye
made with natural earths in most cases so neither should affect your
soil. You might check with your local paper(s) first though.

I've also known people who laid cardboard down in the garden to prevent
weeds from growing but can't vouch for the effect it has.

George

Old 21-02-2006, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:01:55 -0600, George Shirley
wrote:

M.E. wrote:
[...]

What about landscape cloth? Any experience out there?

Persephone

--

A king can stand people fighting but
he can't last long if people start

Will Rogers
Old 21-02-2006, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

wrote:

M.E. wrote:

[...]

Lots of folks use landscape cloth but it's a little expensive for a
larger garden. Most nurseries that plant outside use it to save on
weeding labor, even the ones that plant in the ground inside a
greenhouse. (We live about an hours drive from the "Nursery Capitol of
Louisiana).

I've been wanting to try the new version (a few years old) of red
landscape cloth under tomatoes, supposed to really do the job on
increasing production.

DW finally bought a roll of the regular landscape cloth to cover a strip
flower bed along the west fence line. Wild strawberries and dollar weed
were taking over and we don't use herbicides so the landscape cloth
works at that better than trying to cover with papers.

George

Old 22-02-2006, 01:11 AM
Registered User

Smile

wrote:

M.E. wrote:

[...]

if u wanted to use a herbicide on your garden area one of the best ones to use is roundup its made by monsanto. it is a contact herbicide that is good especially on different kinds of grasses and it is not systemic so u can plant your garden within ten days of spraying. hope this helps u some. cyaaaa, sockiescat.

Old 22-02-2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
lwhaley

Mulch of any type is the organic method of choice. You can cover some
ground with polyethylene plastic and it will cook most of the weeds
dead when the sun shines on it. If you continue to till or plow ground
that has the dreaded "quack grass" then you will be propagating the
weeds by chopping them up, thus multiplying the potential problem.

Old 22-02-2006, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
raycruzer

Use a weed twister around the edges of the polyethylene plastic,
newspaper or other barriers, or wherever the weeds pop up.

Old 23-02-2006, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
lwhaley

check out this link for the highest quality weed control ever!

http://www.growerssupply.com/webapp/...oductId=109811

Old 27-02-2006, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

"George Shirley" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

M.E. wrote:

[...]

a cheap weed matting is used carpet or better still carpet underfelt.
Dependant where you are local waste exchange outfits, recycling centres or
carpet layers may have stuff going cheap or free. Obviously checking to see
what is in the carpet may be good if you are concerned with contamination.

An organic weed spray is
http://www.certifiedorganics.co.nz/index.cfm/pid_16/ but you will need to
check you can get it where you live. It is made from pine oil and
dehyrdrates the plant but WILL NOT kill the root system so a repeat may be
necessary. I much prefer it to glycosate sprays although it is more
expensive and you need to cover most of the plant. Other oil based
derivatives are also available.

rob