Old 21-02-2006, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fragile Warrior

Default Mail order source for quantity discount of mint plants?

Hi all,
I want to run mint along a very long fence line this spring (100'+ or so)
and I was wondering if there is a good mail order source for lots of plants
with maybe a discount for quantity. I'd really love chocolate mint but
I'll take the other kinds, too.

If I could find it growing wild, I'd steal it in mass quantities but so far,
no luck.

Thanks for any suggestions/help!

Old 21-02-2006, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim McQuiggin

"Fragile Warrior" wrote in
:

Hi all,
I want to run mint along a very long fence line this spring (100'+
or so) and I was wondering if there is a good mail order source
for lots of plants with maybe a discount for quantity. I'd
really love chocolate mint but I'll take the other kinds, too.

If I could find it growing wild, I'd steal it in mass quantities
but so far, no luck.

Thanks for any suggestions/help!

Do you have any idea how invasive mint is??? Within a couple of
years, you will have your 100' of length and also 100' of depth! Now,
if you're planning to put them in secure containers almost buried
into the ground, it might work for you.

I have about a dozen varieties of mints (kept solely as novelties)
and I've learned to keep them very much under control! Once they
escape, it takes a lot of work to get them back. But they are lovely,
and yes, chocolate mint is one of my favourites, too.

Jim
Zone 6, Niagara
Old 21-02-2006, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Snooze

"Fragile Warrior" wrote in message
Hi all,
I want to run mint along a very long fence line this spring (100'+ or so)
and I was wondering if there is a good mail order source for lots of
plants with maybe a discount for quantity. I'd really love chocolate
mint but I'll take the other kinds, too.

If I could find it growing wild, I'd steal it in mass quantities but so
far, no luck.

Thanks for any suggestions/help!

Just plant 1 plant then wait 3 years. You'll have the fence line and most of
the yard covered in mint. Mint is highly invasive, it is not recommended
that you plant mint in the ground, you will no doubt regret it later.

Read this for a greater explanation:
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/herbs/mint.html

-S

Old 21-02-2006, 05:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

I got chocolate mint in a 100 gallon rubbermaid container with my dwarf peach trees
and it jumped the pot into the next one. But it is sitting on concrete so I dont
worry about it getting away. Ingrid

Jim McQuiggin wrote:
Do you have any idea how invasive mint is??? Within a couple of
years, you will have your 100' of length and also 100' of depth! Now,
if you're planning to put them in secure containers almost buried
into the ground, it might work for you.

I have about a dozen varieties of mints (kept solely as novelties)
and I've learned to keep them very much under control! Once they
escape, it takes a lot of work to get them back. But they are lovely,
and yes, chocolate mint is one of my favourites, too.

Jim
Zone 6, Niagara

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Old 24-02-2006, 09:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fragile Warrior

"Jim McQuiggin" wrote in message

Do you have any idea how invasive mint is???

Yes, as a matter of fact I do.

Within a couple of
years, you will have your 100' of length and also 100' of depth! Now,
if you're planning to put them in secure containers almost buried
into the ground, it might work for you.

What do you mean, "it might work for you"? I think what you are picturing
what I want it for is different than what I, in reality, want it for.

I have about a dozen varieties of mints (kept solely as novelties)
and I've learned to keep them very much under control! Once they
escape, it takes a lot of work to get them back. But they are lovely,
and yes, chocolate mint is one of my favourites, too.

Jim
Zone 6, Niagara

And I want a large quantity of it. Does anyone know a mail order source for
quantity discounts?

Old 24-02-2006, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

[...]

Call Stokes, http://www.seedquest.com/id/s/StokesSeeds.htm , which is right
in your area, and ask if they can hook you up with a grower who may have
purchased mint seeds from them. And, check out www.localharvest.org for
growers. Ignore the word "organic" all over the site, if you like. Other
than these ideas, I'd guess that 1/2 hour with google would help you find
some commercial growers.

Keep in mind, too, that for about ten bucks, you could get seeds of 2-3
varieties, and grow your own.

Old 24-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Aly Aly is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragile Warrior
Hi all,
I want to run mint along a very long fence line this spring (100'+ or so)
and I was wondering if there is a good mail order source for lots of plants
with maybe a discount for quantity. I'd really love chocolate mint but
I'll take the other kinds, too.

If I could find it growing wild, I'd steal it in mass quantities but so far,
no luck.

Thanks for any suggestions/help!
Mint spreads like wild fire, so I wouldn't buy so many, just one of each variety would be enough. Buy the smallest and cheapest, as it will grow fast.
It is very, VERY
invasive. You'll find herb nurseries on web.
Try - along with other nurseries and find best prices. (They have chocolate mint as well) Each plant will be about £1 - £1.20 or so.
Old 24-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Aly Aly is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragile Warrior
Hi all,
I want to run mint along a very long fence line this spring (100'+ or so)
and I was wondering if there is a good mail order source for lots of plants
with maybe a discount for quantity. I'd really love chocolate mint but
I'll take the other kinds, too.

If I could find it growing wild, I'd steal it in mass quantities but so far,
no luck.

Thanks for any suggestions/help!
I gave an email address in last post, but it hasn't appeared, I've got a few addresses that you can try.
I'll have another go -
Old 24-02-2006, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
simy1

Fragile Warrior wrote:
Hi all,
I want to run mint along a very long fence line this spring (100'+ or so)
and I was wondering if there is a good mail order source for lots of plants
with maybe a discount for quantity. I'd really love chocolate mint but
I'll take the other kinds, too.

If I could find it growing wild, I'd steal it in mass quantities but so far,
no luck.

Thanks for any suggestions/help!

you only need 10 to 20 plants, so you are angling for a few dollars
discount. One plant covers a square yard in about two years. Make sure
you can mow on either side of the fence line. 10 to 20 plants are
nothing for someone who has an established stand, it's the vegetation
of about half a square foot.

Old 22-03-2006, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
RAINDEAR

if anyone ever DOES give you a name or names of a source for buying mass
quantities of a variety of mints, could you PLEASE email me at the address
below my signature?? PLEASE??

otherwise, both you and i should hit
http://www.gardenweb.com
and check out THEIR places for finding SOURCES. i guess i'll toddle over
there now.....and if i find anything, first, i'll let you know here, k??

i want mass quantities of mint, too, to take over the grass; this way the
area will still look green but will not be the source of food for
grasshopper, japanese beetle, and other grubs who munch on grass roots all
winter and spring.

this'll teach 'em!!!!
--
With Malus toward none, and Cherry-Trees toward all.

Old 24-03-2006, 05:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:33:25 -0500, RAINDEAR wrote:

if anyone ever DOES give you a name or names of a source for buying mass
quantities of a variety of mints, could you PLEASE email me at the address
below my signature?? PLEASE??

otherwise, both you and i should hit
http://www.gardenweb.com
and check out THEIR places for finding SOURCES. i guess i'll toddle over
there now.....and if i find anything, first, i'll let you know here, k??

i want mass quantities of mint, too, to take over the grass; this way the
area will still look green but will not be the source of food for
grasshopper, japanese beetle, and other grubs who munch on grass roots all
winter and spring.

this'll teach 'em!!!!

A grower I know of in California supplies various herbs (including some mints)
in plug trays of 128 plants for $52.80 (about $0.42 per plant). One catch is
they must all be of the same plant. Another catch is shipping. If you live in
the far west of the US (basically the coastal states and those adjoining them)
shipping is by ground and cheap, but if you live anywhere else shipping is by
air and expensive.

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/index.html

Old 24-03-2006, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

I've dealt with theses folks in the past.

http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/

Bill

--
Located In S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Vision Problems? Look at http://www.ocutech.com/ ~us$1500
Old 25-03-2006, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
J.R. in MI

You can take all the mint in my yard, dig up every root from the 40-50
plants you find, cut these runners into 100 pieces and you will have
100 plants growing quickly. My yard will of course still be infested.