Old 21-02-2006, 01:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
raresh

Default Where can I find silver spruce (PICEA pungens)?

Does anybody know where can I find (buy) seeds of
PICEA pungens 'Hoopsi', PICEA pungens 'Bakeri', PICEA pungens 'Fat
Albert' or any form that has real silvery color?

Thank you!

Old 21-02-2006, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Your best bet at this time of the year would be the American Conifer
Society seed exchange. However, you should be aware that these
varieties do not come true from seed. Most of the seedlings will have
some bluish color but the odds that any one seedling will be as blue as
the parent are extremely low.

-beeky

Old 21-02-2006, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"raresh" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anybody know where can I find (buy) seeds of
PICEA pungens 'Hoopsi', PICEA pungens 'Bakeri', PICEA pungens 'Fat
Albert' or any form that has real silvery color?

Thank you!

If you're discouraged by beeky's comments on seeds not matching the parents
(which is often true), and your desire for seeds is to save money, you might
take a look at www.musserforests.com. They sell small plants in quantities
of 5 or 10. Cheaper than buying big plants at a nursery, not as cheap as
seeds, but it still might suit your purposes.

Old 22-02-2006, 08:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
presley

The nice thing about small seedlings is that they often grow faster with
less transplanting shock than larger specimens. I bought an Atlas cedar
seedling no more than 10 inches high for $8 somewhere, and a year later a
much larger specimen (5-6 feet tall) for about $40. Within the 2 years
since then, the 10 inch speciman has nearly caught up with the much larger
one.
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

ups.com...

Old 22-02-2006, 09:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
raresh

Thank you for your time!

Let's say I would be happy if I'll get one true silver tree from 100
seeds. I was at http://www.conifersociety.org but they don't seam to
sell on the Internet. I am from Europe - Romania and I can't just go
there and ask for some seeds. I I sent to them an email and I posted on
their forum the same question.

If you have other ideas I will be delighted,
Thank you for your time!

Old 22-02-2006, 09:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
raresh

Unfortunately I look for seeds not to save mony but because the seeds
are more resistent to transport. I am from Europe.

Thank you all!