GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Touch-Me-Not (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/123773-photo-week-touch-me-not.html)

[email protected] 22-02-2006 04:22 PM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Touch-Me-Not

All one has to do is to touch a ripe seed pod of this wild flower to
understand where the common name comes from. The pod explodes, sending
the seeds in all directions. When walking through a stand of
Touch--Me-Nots, it can sound like rain if enough of them are ripe.

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Grdner 22-02-2006 06:11 PM

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:
http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

They are very pretty -- are they invasive? Can I buy seeds/plants at
the local nursery?

thanks. As always, I look forward to your photos.

Pat

Chuckie 23-02-2006 02:09 AM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Touch-Me-Not

Touch- Me- Nots are also known to releive any kind of skin irritatains
for a short time.
Though this does not help the healing process it can be used as a quick
releif remedy.
Chuckie in the thawing north, zone 5

Ann 23-02-2006 11:16 PM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Touch-Me-Not

Grdner expounded:

They are very pretty -- are they invasive? Can I buy seeds/plants at
the local nursery?

They self-sow themselves freely, so yes, they are invasive, but easily
removed - by the handful!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Jerry Avins 24-02-2006 03:35 PM

wrote:
All one has to do is to touch a ripe seed pod of this wild flower to
understand where the common name comes from. The pod explodes, sending
the seeds in all directions. When walking through a stand of
Touch--Me-Nots, it can sound like rain if enough of them are ripe.

js

Snazzy!

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

MaryL 25-02-2006 01:12 AM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Touch-Me-Not

wrote in message
ups.com...

All one has to do is to touch a ripe seed pod of this wild flower to
understand where the common name comes from. The pod explodes, sending
the seeds in all directions. When walking through a stand of
Touch--Me-Nots, it can sound like rain if enough of them are ripe.

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

When I was growing up in Ohio, we had huge areas of jewel weed, which we
also called touch-me-not. I'm not sure if it was exactly the same variety
as in your photo, but we were told to crush it and use it on poison ivy and
insect bites for a little quick relief from itching.

MaryL