Old 22-02-2006, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cactus has a hole

Hi, all you gardeners!

My cactus has developed a hole. I don't think anything is attacking
it. It lives in a lab at a university. It is the only plant. There
aren't many (any?) insects around.

I don't know whether I am underwatering the plant, and that has caused
the hole? Overwatering? Perhaps the cactus is being attacked by a
fungus (although I don't see any signs of a fungus)? Maybe it's just
normal for cacti to develop a hole occasionally, and it will close up
after a while.

You will ask what kind of cactus it is. My answer will tell you how
much I know about plants: It is the cactus I bought my son for
Christmas, and he rejected. It is kind of barrel-shaped. It has long
ridges that run from its base to its crown. There are thorns (light,
wispy) emanating from the top of the ridges. There are also valleys
(of course) between the ridges, and it is in one of these that the
cactus has become "unzipped."

On some days, the cactus is the only bright spot in the day. We got a
cactus so it wouldn't die, and depress us, but . . .

Is there a cactus expert out there?

Regards,

Rick

Old 22-02-2006, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

What kind of perverted act have you been committing on the plant?

Cactus don't just develop holes.

Unlike a watermelon, its not pink inside.

Maybe its about time you sit down with your son and tell him about the facts
of life? Maybe he should explain them to you?

ups.com...