Old 31-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Fleemo

Default Cut Back Healthy Butterfly Bush?

After searching through the newsgroups, it appears that most people
cut back their butterfly bushes nearly to the ground. However, out
here in sunny California (Zone 9), the foliage on both my Butterfly
Bushes came through the winter quite nicely. One is a shrub-sized
bush about three feet tall and wide, while the other is the same
bushiness, but nearly seven feet tall.

If the bush is looking healthy, is there a reason to cut it back to
the ground? Does it flower on new growth, or does the pruning
stimulate flower production? Or should I just leave well enough
alone?

Thanks.

-Fleemo
Old 01-04-2003, 12:56 AM
madgarder

you can leave it alone if you want. I sometimes don't cut mine back and only
prune a few branches later on.........madgardener
om...

Old 01-04-2003, 03:20 AM
SugarChile

You don't have to trim them back, but....That seven footer is going to bear
its flowers at the ends of those seven foot (plus) branches, not at eye
level where you can appreciate them. They get sort of ungainly-looking, if
not pruned, IMO.

You don't have to take them back to the ground. Mine come through the
winter just fine here in PA, zone 6, but I take them back to about 2-3 feet.
That way they end up blooming at eye level. I have one I use as a screen
that I cut back to 4-5 feet. They're not very fussy; you can do as you
please with them.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

om...

Old 01-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Beecrofter

If the bush is looking healthy, is there a reason to cut it back to
the ground? Does it flower on new growth, or does the pruning
stimulate flower production? Or should I just leave well enough
alone?

Thanks.

-Fleemo

Buddelia and Caryopteris both bloom best on new growth.
Cutting back stimulates new growth.

Pencil thick cuttings 8" long root readily so make some new plants
from the prunings.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:20 PM
harrison

I cut my butterfly bush back because it was trying to take over a corner of
the yard. Even in this cold April, buds were growing all along its length. I
find I have to prune it continually during the summer because it is so
vigorous that it outgrows its space. I would estimate I took two thirds plus
one old trunk stem that was taking the bush in a entirely new direction.
Eugenia, zone 6, two towns west of Boston
"SugarChile" wrote in message
hlink.net...
You don't have to trim them back, but....That seven footer is going to

bear
its flowers at the ends of those seven foot (plus) branches, not at eye
level where you can appreciate them. They get sort of ungainly-looking,

if
not pruned, IMO.

You don't have to take them back to the ground. Mine come through the
winter just fine here in PA, zone 6, but I take them back to about 2-3

feet.
That way they end up blooming at eye level. I have one I use as a screen
that I cut back to 4-5 feet. They're not very fussy; you can do as you
please with them.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

om...