GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Poppy Planting (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/1259-poppy-planting.html)

Fleemo 12-02-2003 08:25 PM

Poppy Planting

This season I'm going to try my hand at Poppies. I've got both
California poppies and a variety called Pizzicato. Is now a good time
to plant them for gardeners in Zone 9, Northern California? Any
special advice on proper planting? Are they likely to flower the
first year, or should I not expect blooms until next season?

Thanks!

gregpresley 13-02-2003 07:25 AM

Poppy Planting

Now would be a good time - late last fall would have been even better. The
trick is you want them to bloom before the onset of really hot weather, and
they need about 2-2 1/2 months of growing time before they bloom after
germination. So it all depends on when the hot weather hits your area (which
I would call highs consistently in the 80's).
om...