GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   two questions about topsoil in Chicago (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/12638-two-questions-about-topsoil-chicago.html)

theakson 02-04-2003 02:32 AM

two questions about topsoil in Chicago

We live in the middle of the city of Chicago so anyone got a good landscaper
that delivers?

I am looking for a good soil area calculator be cause I think my calcs are
VERY wrong. I think I need 10 cubic yards to fill the following

2 6' * 6' * 12" beds
1 4' * 12 * 12" bed
1 6' * 12' * 12"

seems too small an amount

Burl 02-04-2003 03:56 AM

two questions about topsoil in Chicago

I think that you only need about 7 cu. yards.

Since you are going a foot deep it's easier for you to just use 1' instead
of 12" in your calculations. So, for the 6'x6'x1' bed you need 36 cu ft.
Since a cu. yard is 3'x3'x3' = 27 cu. ft. you need 1 1/3 cu yards for this
bed.

Burl

.com...

theakson 02-04-2003 02:44 PM

two questions about topsoil in Chicago

Thanks Burl excellent information. I'll order 8 cubic yards so I can top
them off later on and have some soil just in case. Again thanks