Old 02-04-2003, 07:44 AM
griffon

Default does this sound like Rhus glabra (smooth sumac)?

There is a sumac grove forming on my property. The trees are rather
interesting due to their somewhat tropical appearance and they tend to
be a lovely red in fall. I am wondering what type of sumac they are.
I am fairly certain that they are Rhus glabra or smooth sumac, but I
wanted to see if anyone thought I might be incorrect in my
identification.

The leaves would be the biggest help but I am having a hell of a time
remembering exactly how they appeared and their arrangement.

The tree has a somewhat sticky cluster of fruit that forms in summer
and darkens to red and eventually brown. I do not recall what the
flowers looked like or if they were at all noticable.

The fruit stays all winter and is still mostly present even now as the
buds are beginning to look like they could open soon. The new growth
tends to have a slightly white glow/bloom to it, with a hint of blue
or purple as well in summer, this is true of both the new limbs
leading to the leaves and the new trees which seem to shoot up from
the roots of the plants (I noticed these last spring when there was
one lone tree and it had not fruited yet).

The trees appear to form a thicket fairly quickly.

The leaves were pinnate, but this seems to be the case with many of
the sumacs.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:32 AM
John Mac

Sounds more like Rhus typhina or Staghorn sumac..............

"griffon" wrote in message
news
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Pachira Glabra brid United Kingdom 1 04-12-2012 10:28 PM
RAIN SOUND RAINING RAIN RAINY RAINING SOUND RAIN RAINY Kulin Remailer Gardening 1 19-05-2011 02:42 PM
RAIN SOUND RAINING RAIN RAINY RAINING SOUND RAIN RAINY Kulin Remailer Gardening 2 19-05-2011 08:24 AM
Smooth Sumac leaf-shed and replace? Ron Hardin Gardening 0 31-07-2006 04:49 PM
Does this sound like a reasonable quote? Tumbleweed United Kingdom 4 03-09-2003 06:02 PM