Old 02-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Lynn A.

Default Pregnant alligator plant?

A friend gave me what she called "pregnant alligator" plants a
couple months ago. I've been trying to look up information about these
plants and can't find anything. Matches for "alligator plant" aren't
the same thing.
This plant has leaves that come to a point and I guess two of
them together could look like an alligator's jaws. The main identifying
trait of these plants though I would think is the way they reproduce.
Tiny babies, complete with roots, appear on the edges of the biggest
leaves. Then they drop off and my cat eats them, but I'm trying to get
around that!
Anyone recognize this plant and know it's real name so I can look
up information on it?

Many thanks,
Lynn

Old 02-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Tracey

A friend gave me what she called "pregnant alligator"

I don't have a clue as to what it's real name is, but I
*think* I might have some of them. Are the leaves/stalks
fleshy? Are the leaf edges serrated (not necessarily sharp
but with definite scallops)? If so, try looking at a website
of succulents and see if you can find it. If it's what I have,
then it's pretty common.

Tracey

Old 03-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Marley1372

The plant to which you are referring is called "pregnant plant" or "mother of
thousands". The scientiffic name is Bryophyllum daigremontianum.

Toad
Old 03-04-2003, 08:44 PM
LeeAnne

Not sure what kind of plant it is, but many plants are toxic to cats, so
please watch kitty carefully.

Old 03-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Tracey

The plant to which you are referring is called
"pregnant plant" or "mother of thousands".
The scientiffic name is Bryophyllum daigremontianum.

While that isn't exactly the plants I have, it's
definitely in the Bryophyllum family. The daigremontianum
seems well-described as an 'alligator plant', with the
pointy leaves. Mine are more rounded.

Tracey

Old 03-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Lynn A.

Tracey wrote:
A friend gave me what she called "pregnant alligator"

I don't have a clue as to what it's real name is, but I
*think* I might have some of them. Are the leaves/stalks
fleshy? Are the leaf edges serrated (not necessarily sharp
but with definite scallops)? If so, try looking at a website
of succulents and see if you can find it. If it's what I have,
then it's pretty common.

Yes, you've described exactly what I have.

Lynn

Old 03-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Lynn A.

Marley1372 wrote:
The plant to which you are referring is called "pregnant plant" or "mother of
thousands". The scientiffic name is Bryophyllum daigremontianum.

Thanks! Both those names sound a lot better than pregnant
alligator! Thanks for the scientific name too, I'll look it up!

Lynn

Old 03-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Lynn A.

LeeAnne wrote:
Not sure what kind of plant it is, but many plants are toxic to cats, so
please watch kitty carefully.

Oh yeah, I know. After I wrote that, last night I was there when
she was hanging out in that window and it seems she just bats them
around and knocks them behind the shelves.

Lynn

Old 04-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Tracey

It is the plant equivalent of the Star Trek tribbles.

Hehe. Kind of like these things my mom calls 'fire
bushes'. The first year she bought one, she planted
in a corner by her porch. Very pretty, got fiery red
in the fall. It was killed by frost and she whacked
it off and took it to be burned. The next spring, she
had a line of little fire bushes all along the path
she walked when carrying it to brush pile.

She hasn't had to buy another since. She waits until
spring, transplants a few to where she wants them and
pulls the rest.

Tracey

Old 04-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Cereoid+10+

Your lame analogy is completely incorrect.

A better anology to the "tribbles" would be aphids because they are "born
pregnant"!!

In the case of Bryophyllum daigremontianum, the leaf margins bear plantlets
that eventually fall off. They are not replaced by additional plantlets.
There is no sexual reproduction involved at all.

Dewitt wrote in message
On 03 Apr 2003 01:58:03 GMT, (Marley1372) wrote:

The plant to which you are referring is called "pregnant plant" or

"mother of
thousands". The scientiffic name is Bryophyllum daigremontianum.

Toad

Seedlings of which will end up in the pot of every nearby plant. It
is the plant equivalent of the Star Trek tribbles. I got rid of mine
last fall and expect to have to pluck seedlings out of other pots for
many months to come.

deg

Old 04-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Dewitt

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 01:03:46 GMT, "Cereoid+10+"
wrote:

Your lame analogy is completely incorrect.

A better anology to the "tribbles" would be aphids because they are "born
pregnant"!!

In the case of Bryophyllum daigremontianum, the leaf margins bear plantlets
that eventually fall off. They are not replaced by additional plantlets.
There is no sexual reproduction involved at all.

Clearly, you aren't a Star Trek fan. To quote Dr. McCoy regarding
tribbles, " Best I can tell, they're born pregnant"

deg
Old 04-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Ann

"Cereoid+10+" expounded:

A better anology to the "tribbles" would be aphids because they are "born
pregnant"!!

Actually, if you knew anything about tribbles, you'd know that they
are also 'born pregnant'.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 04-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Cereoid+10+

Why you bloodless P'tah!

Your mother was born pregnant, Tewitt.

You speak like a Ferengi.

Just for that I'd have Worf beat the crap out of you.

ST-TNG is far superior to the original series.