GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Forest tree type question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/1276-forest-tree-type-question.html)

Todd J. 13-02-2003 02:25 AM

Forest tree type question

I am building a house that has a lot of forest on it. I want to add
some fur (not pine) type trees to add some privacy in the winter when
all the leaves are off the trees.

What are some fur types that will grow in the dappled shade to
partical shade of a hardwood forest??? I'm going to thin some of the
pines that are there and will plant in that area but will still have
planty of oak trees to deal with. I'm not cutting those down.

Change the .com to .net to email me

Todd J. 13-02-2003 03:55 AM

Forest tree type question

On 13 Feb 2003 03:11:32 GMT, (Iris Cohen) wrote:

What are some fur types that will grow in the dappled shade to partial shade
of a hardwood forest?

I think you mean fir. It depends on where you live. Fir, Abies sp., are only
happy in the coldest parts of the country. Other genera to consider are
Chamaecyparis, arborvitae (Thuja), and hemlock (Tsuga). Each of these groups
has species that are native to the West or East coast. If you are in the
Midwest your choice is much more limited.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Hmmmmmmmm I guess I wanted a tree with hair on it :-(

Fur........................... I need to get rid of some

No, I live in zone 6b in south east Tennessee

Will blue spruce or something like that work??

Change the .com to .net to email me