Old 04-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Julie

Default NOT companion planting

Hi all,
It's about planting vegetables. I have a limited amount of space, due
to the unwieldiness of my ancient tiller, not due to acreage.

So. I've roto'd up a couple - three nice rows, got the southernmost
seeded with okra, unitl I ran out of okra seed and finished it out
with chives. The chives are under the clothesline, where i wouldn't
want okra anyway cause of the height.

Now.

I figure I'll plant something viney in the rest of the space, cukes
and cataloupe, to be specific. I imagine I wouldn't want the melons
near the chives because of the oniony flavor, but would the cukes do
okay there? I'm thinking I'll put a hill or two of cucumbers to the
east, where the chives are, and the melons to the west, well insulated
from the chives.

What do you think?
Or... I could put the melons somewhere else and reserve the spot near
the chives for the sweet [bell] peppers I have seeding. I think the
okra and cucumbers would enjoy each others' company.

Later I have to till up another patch or two for tomatoes, corn,
potatoes, etc...

peace,
Julie
[new enough to this to ask questions, experienced enough to know to
have /small/ garden patches!]
Old 04-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Dwayne

I have never heard that melons would take on the taste or smell of garlic or
onions. I do know that if you plant cantaloupe near cucumbers, don't save
your seeds for next years planting, or you might be disappointed.

Dwayne