GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wood for raised beds / pressure treated ok? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/12946-wood-raised-beds-pressure-treated-ok.html)

Brs36 04-04-2003 12:08 PM

Wood for raised beds / pressure treated ok?

Hi,

I have some 6X6X10 lumber I was thinking of using to make raised beds for a
raised vegetable bed. Can I use this wood even if it is pressure treated? I
like the look of this lumber and the height that I get from two stacked.
Thanks
Brennan
Remove the Nojunk from the email address to reply to the email address.

[email protected] 04-04-2003 03:20 PM

Wood for raised beds / pressure treated ok?

yeah.. I use it, just line the inside with 6 mil plastic, staple it on so the soil
isnt up against the wood. Ingrid

ojunk (Brs36) wrote:

Hi,

I have some 6X6X10 lumber I was thinking of using to make raised beds for a
raised vegetable bed. Can I use this wood even if it is pressure treated? I
like the look of this lumber and the height that I get from two stacked.
Thanks
Brennan
Remove the Nojunk from the email address to reply to the email address.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Beecrofter 04-04-2003 05:56 PM

ojunk (Brs36) wrote in message ...
Hi,

I have some 6X6X10 lumber I was thinking of using to make raised beds for a
raised vegetable bed. Can I use this wood even if it is pressure treated? I
like the look of this lumber and the height that I get from two stacked.
Thanks
Brennan
Remove the Nojunk from the email address to reply to the email address.

Why not, there is a good chance you will never get bladder cancer from
the increased intake in arsenic and chromium that will leach from the
wood to the soil.

Look around on the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station's web
pages they had a fair article on PT wood.

Phisherman 04-04-2003 09:20 PM

Wood for raised beds / pressure treated ok?

There are better choices for PT wood...
white oak
cedar
cypress
stone
self-locking brick
composite wood planks

Working with PT wood is just plain nasty. And getting a splinter from
it is worse than from pine. If you make a raised bed from it, plant
flowers, shrubs or decorative gourds and keep the PT stuff far from
food and children.

(Brs36) wrote:

Hi,

I have some 6X6X10 lumber I was thinking of using to make raised beds for a
raised vegetable bed. Can I use this wood even if it is pressure treated? I
like the look of this lumber and the height that I get from two stacked.
Thanks
Brennan
Remove the Nojunk from the email address to reply to the email address.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.