Old 04-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Joyce

Default Mimosa Tree

Does anyone have any experience with Mimosa (or Silk) Trees? I
transplanted one last fall and there is no sign of bud break to date.
I'm not sure if they stay dormant longer than other trees and will
eventually leaf out. I'm trying to be patient but am curious if my tree
is dead or just slow. Thanks. Joyce in Oregon

Old 04-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Lynn A.

Joyce wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with Mimosa (or Silk) Trees? I
transplanted one last fall and there is no sign of bud break to date.
I'm not sure if they stay dormant longer than other trees and will
eventually leaf out. I'm trying to be patient but am curious if my tree
is dead or just slow. Thanks. Joyce in Oregon

Here in St. Louis, Missouri, zone 5 (I think), my mimosas are just
barely starting to bud out whereas all my other trees already have leaves.

Lynn

Old 04-04-2003, 10:44 PM
ande

I live in NC, zone 7. My Mimosa always looks like a dead stick coming out
of winter. As of now, I can barely see it starting to bud out at the end of
the branches.

Old 05-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Pam

Joyce wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with Mimosa (or Silk) Trees? I
transplanted one last fall and there is no sign of bud break to date.
I'm not sure if they stay dormant longer than other trees and will
eventually leaf out. I'm trying to be patient but am curious if my tree
is dead or just slow. Thanks. Joyce in Oregon

Mimosas are one of the latest of the ornamental trees to leaf out here in
the PNW. We don't even bring them into the nursery until late May or early
June. Be patient - I'm sure your tree is just fine and is following the
usual mimosa pattern.

pam - gardengal

Old 05-04-2003, 02:32 PM
John McGaw

"Joyce" wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience with Mimosa (or Silk) Trees? I
transplanted one last fall and there is no sign of bud break to date.
I'm not sure if they stay dormant longer than other trees and will
eventually leaf out. I'm trying to be patient but am curious if my tree
is dead or just slow. Thanks. Joyce in Oregon

Around here, mimosas are just another weed and spread like mad. That said,
the surviving mimosas in my yard (the ones I didn't manage to cut down and
dig out) are not leafed out yet although most other trees are at least
partially out.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Old 05-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Klondike6789

I agree. Most gardening professionals consider mimosa a junk tree. But
I saw a nursery selling a chineese tallow, so you can't always rely on
them.

Old 06-04-2003, 07:44 AM
homer

I live in Vancouver and mine has not yet started to bud (although I haven't
checked in a couple of days). Like some other posters have noted, silk
trees are late bloomers. Wait awhile.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson smith View Post
Mimosa is a evergreen tree or shrub which grows in Northeastern Brazil. It is known as Jurema and also in Southern Mexico where it is known as Tepezcohuite. Mimosa plant is a plant that will give you beautiful pink flowers and elegance. It is contains DMT. You know that DMT is a chemical that produces visuals and strong psychedelic effects.
That is Mimosa tenuiflora, one of several rather disparate plants known as mimosa. The Mimosa genus has about 200 species. Previous poster asked about mimosa aka silk tree, which is Albizia julibrissin. Acacia dealbata is also commonly known as mimosa.

One thing you can be sure of, when someone says mimosa, you have no idea what they mean until they clarify.

[IMG] code is On

My Potted Mimosa Tree **Needing advice..... Jmichele Bonsai 3 30-06-2013 10:32 PM
possibility of growing a mimosa tree in the UK? Phil L United Kingdom 18 25-08-2004 09:32 PM
Mimosa Tree Peter Donovan Bonsai 1 13-09-2003 08:12 AM
Mimosa The Devil's Advocate United Kingdom 4 13-04-2003 09:20 PM
mimosa Derek Turner United Kingdom 0 29-10-2002 05:35 PM