Old 05-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Dave

Default I need help with my Dianthus!

To All,

I moved into a new home May of last year and discovered that the
previous homeowners planted Dianthus in their rock garden. However,
since we moved in last May I have never seen it bloom any flowers. It
looks healthy and green. Last week I sprinkled some starter fertilizer
on top and since then I have seen some slight awakening (it looks like
its pointing upwards). I wanted to plant more of it and took a
speciman to a garden center. Yep, they said it was definately
Dianthus, "Cheddar Pinks" to be specific. Now the soil they are in is
kind of acidic, composed of maybe 2 inches topsoil and then mostly
clay. I realize that you need good drainage but there is nothing I can
do now. I was told the Cheddar Pinks ARE perennials.

My questions a
1. Why isn't the existing Dianthus blooming? (They normally bloom in
early summer)
2. What can I do to help the existing Dianthus bloom like its supposed
to ?

Thanks!

Mark
Old 05-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

From: (Dave)
Date: Fri, Apr 4, 2003 8:32 PM
[...]

Cheddar Pinks (and other dianthus species) need a sunny, well-drained location
and a slightly alkaline soil. Acidic clay is not a good situation for
blooming. (I'm surprised that the rock garden has such soil, which is not good
for most rock garden plantings.) It may be too late for this year's blooms,
but if you can incorporate some grit and ground limestone into the existing
soil, it may help. (There is also a powdered form of lime that works faster,
but I can't be sure if it would work in this situation.) Alternatively, if you
want to try lifting the plants and replanting them into properly amended soil
in the same location, that could also work. It's not necessary to have an
entire bed of amended soil if you can give them what they need around their
roots, at least in the short run. This has worked for me....I have acidic soil
with amended pockets in which to grow plants that enjoy lime.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa
Old 19-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Dave

From:
(Dave)
Date: Fri, Apr 4, 2003 8:32 PM
[...]

Thanks for your suggestion Trya. They were very helpful. I think I may
just take them out and totally replace the soil. I think it needs to
be graded anyways. If you have any more suggestions please let me
know.

Mark

[IMG] code is On

Floppy Dianthus andrewpreece United Kingdom 1 29-03-2005 12:24 AM
Dianthus: bacterial wilt, virus or something else? szozu Gardening 2 04-08-2003 05:22 PM
Dianthus dkra Gardening 1 24-07-2003 08:02 AM
Dianthus not growing MusicMax Gardening 1 01-06-2003 06:08 PM
Dianthus - Collecting the Seeds Bunny McElwee Gardening 1 21-05-2003 09:44 PM