Old 28-02-2006, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Marc

Default drought resistant ground cover?

Drought resistant ground cover?

I want to replace my lawn with a drought resistant low maintenance ground
cover.

The area gets shade in the summer, full light in the winter. It has a
moderate slope. The soil is thin top soil over adobe (heavy clay) typical
in California. I live in Vallejo, which is 35 miles NE of San Francisco.
Temperatures highs are in the 80 to 100 f in the Summer and lows are and
30-50 in the winter.

I would like a fragrant herb if there is one that would work. We sit on
this lawn occasionally in the warm weather but it does not get very much
traffic.

Does any one have any suggestions?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"These are the times that try men's souls." Tom Paine

Marc

Old 28-02-2006, 04:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

Marc wrote:
Drought resistant ground cover?

I want to replace my lawn with a drought resistant low maintenance ground
cover.

The area gets shade in the summer, full light in the winter. It has a
moderate slope. The soil is thin top soil over adobe (heavy clay) typical
in California. I live in Vallejo, which is 35 miles NE of San Francisco.
Temperatures highs are in the 80 to 100 f in the Summer and lows are and
30-50 in the winter.

I would like a fragrant herb if there is one that would work. We sit on
this lawn occasionally in the warm weather but it does not get very much
traffic.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Thyme. Does not like lots of water. Hardy in your area (Sunset zone
17). Just choose a low-growing variety such as creeping thyme.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my http://www.rossde.com/PGP/
Old 28-02-2006, 04:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Charles

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:08:48 -0800, "Marc"
wrote:

Drought resistant ground cover?

I want to replace my lawn with a drought resistant low maintenance ground
cover.

The area gets shade in the summer, full light in the winter. It has a
moderate slope. The soil is thin top soil over adobe (heavy clay) typical
in California. I live in Vallejo, which is 35 miles NE of San Francisco.
Temperatures highs are in the 80 to 100 f in the Summer and lows are and
30-50 in the winter.

I would like a fragrant herb if there is one that would work. We sit on
this lawn occasionally in the warm weather but it does not get very much
traffic.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Low growing rosemary.