Old 28-02-2006, 12:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

Default Starting cuttings

My coleus cuttings are not rooting. I put one cutting, dusted with
rooting hormone, in a cup of moist vermiculite, covered in a plastic
bag and placed in a north window. They may get a brief time of morning
sun. The temperature is about 65 degrees. The cuttings are not
wilted, but have produced small flowers which I pinched off. Why are
the cuttings flowering and not rooting?
Old 01-03-2006, 08:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:51:06 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

My coleus cuttings are not rooting. I put one cutting, dusted with
rooting hormone, in a cup of moist vermiculite, covered in a plastic
bag and placed in a north window. They may get a brief time of morning
sun. The temperature is about 65 degrees. The cuttings are not
wilted, but have produced small flowers which I pinched off. Why are
the cuttings flowering and not rooting?

I suspect insufficient light and warmth. I always root cuttings indoors under
fluorescents, and always have nearly 100 percent success, even with plants that
are supposedly hard to root, like bay (Laurus nobilis). My winter temps indoors
never fall below 67 degrees F, and when the lights are on the temperatures in
the rooting containers are several degrees higher.

It might also (or alternatively) be that your cuttings are respondingly
negatively to long nights/short days. My cuttings lights are on for 13 to 14
hours each day.