Old 28-02-2006, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
waite

Default wtaer run off

Folks

Wonder if anyone knows best solution. I purchased my house 13years
ago. The previous neighbor paved 3/4 of his yard 25 years ago. The
pitch of the yard is directed into my yard. Approx. 6-10 times a
year my back portion of my yard floods. The previous neighbor has
sold to a new family...they have 4-6 cars on the paved area I wonder
what the run off is carring with it ie. oil etc. Is this legal and
if so what is my best remedy...my gardener suggested a pumping
system...$8,000.00 + maint. Please help

Old 01-03-2006, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

Is your property next to any open land? If so, you can backhoe several
ditches leading from your yard into it, layer the bottoms of the ditches
with gravel, sand, and dirt. That will help get it off of your yard, but it
wont help with the problem.

Dwayne
m...

Old 01-03-2006, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

waite wrote:
Folks

Wonder if anyone knows best solution. I purchased my house 13years
ago. The previous neighbor paved 3/4 of his yard 25 years ago. The
pitch of the yard is directed into my yard. Approx. 6-10 times a
year my back portion of my yard floods. The previous neighbor has
sold to a new family...they have 4-6 cars on the paved area I wonder
what the run off is carring with it ie. oil etc. Is this legal and
if so what is my best remedy...my gardener suggested a pumping
system...$8,000.00 + maint. Please help

Just a suggestion. Ask the folks over at alt.home.repair. That group is
just buzzing with information and knowledge. Check with the city and
see if the previous owner got a permit to build it that way. If not, he
may responsible for fixing the problem.

-Felder.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

"waite" wrote in message
m...
Folks

Wonder if anyone knows best solution. I purchased my house 13years
ago. The previous neighbor paved 3/4 of his yard 25 years ago. The
pitch of the yard is directed into my yard. Approx. 6-10 times a
year my back portion of my yard floods. The previous neighbor has
sold to a new family...they have 4-6 cars on the paved area I wonder
what the run off is carring with it ie. oil etc. Is this legal and
if so what is my best remedy...my gardener suggested a pumping
system...$8,000.00 + maint. Please help

Have you politely asked the neighbour to abate this nuisance?

If he will not, as this is an international forum there are many different
possibilities regarding the law wherever you are.

First approach your local Municipal Council or other Govmint Authority to
see if they have a code or bylaw that covers the situation. It may be in
relation to disposing of ground water on their own property, not running a
parking lot or not polluting the neighbourhood. If they do have such a
thing make a complaint or do whatever is required to get them to act.

If there is no such law then you are on your own and this would generally
mean you have to commence a civil suit for damages. See your lawyer and
listen carefully about the likely cost and chance of winning before you get
too wound up about it. It may be that such a suit:

- would take a long time
- cost a great deal
- have no certainty of success
- have no certainty of compelling the result that you want even if you
theoretically win.

In such a case it may be cheaper to take action on your side of the fence
(hard to say what that would be without knowing the lie of the land) or just
endure it.

David

Old 01-03-2006, 09:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"waite" wrote in message
[...]

seems easiest to get the neighbour to do something voluntarily such as a
garden or grass along the boundary. My garage roof drained straight onto the
neightbours property when I bought this place 3 years ago. One of the first
things I did was dig soak holes either end of the garage and pipe the water
into them. Neighbours claimed not to realise the way my garage had drained
into their section.

If it is just water, depending on the lay out of your section, are you able
to install some type of french drain and hive the water off to one end of
your section?

rob

[IMG] code is On

Run, Rabbit, Run Way Back Jack[_7_] Gardening 23 09-02-2011 05:05 PM
Run, Rabbit, Run Way Back Jack[_7_] Edible Gardening 33 11-06-2009 04:51 PM
Run-off Water Feed Naomi Ponds (alternative) 1 31-05-2006 08:03 AM
mower not run in 2 yrs John Lawns 4 24-04-2003 05:32 AM
Spring run-off for water change? Steve in 236 Ponds 0 23-03-2003 02:21 PM