GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   old potting soil for composting pile? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/1356-old-potting-soil-composting-pile.html)

dracaena 14-02-2003 11:03 PM

old potting soil for composting pile?

I am an apartment dweller and am trying to make my own compost pile.
I have old potting soil that has gone "furry". Can I use this old
potting soil for my compost?

Phisherman 14-02-2003 11:39 PM

On 14 Feb 2003 15:07:29 -0800, (dracaena) wrote:

I am an apartment dweller and am trying to make my own compost pile.
I have old potting soil that has gone "furry". Can I use this old
potting soil for my compost?

Certainly. The old potting soil may add beneficial bacteria.
Remember that to get a compost pile working it usually needs to be at
least one square yard of brown-green material