Old 01-03-2006, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Yaderp

Default Lemon Tree Question

I started a leomn tree from a seed in a small pot. It is now about 10
inches tall. The leaves, however, are brown around the edges. Is this a
sign of too much watering, too little, or something entirely different?
What should I feed the little tree and when should I move it outdoors or to
a larger container? I am in the southeastern US with winter time temps down
to about 20 at times, but generally pretty mild. Any suggestions would eb
greatly appreciated.

--
Yaderp

Peeing on an electric fence is one of those life lesson you only have to be
taught once.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Marrs

Congratulations for getting the plant started. The bad news is that you may
have to wait 10-15 years for any lemons. Almost all productive lemon trees
are grafted on to other root stock. But if you don't care about setting
fruit, then make sure it is getting lots of sunshine and only water after
the soil is on the dry side. I wouldn't fertilize but around twice a year.
You can plant it in a container and move indoors or other protective spot
during the winter.

Good Luck

JEM

Old 06-03-2006, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Yaderp

"Jim Marrs" wrote in
:

"Yaderp" wrote in message
I started a leomn tree from a seed in a small pot. It is now about 10
inches tall. The leaves, however, are brown around the edges. Is this
a sign of too much watering, too little, or something entirely
different? What should I feed the little tree and when should I move
it outdoors or to
a larger container? I am in the southeastern US with winter time
temps down
to about 20 at times, but generally pretty mild. Any suggestions
would eb greatly appreciated.

--
Yaderp

Peeing on an electric fence is one of those life lesson you only have
to be
taught once.

Thanks so much for the information!

Old 07-03-2006, 12:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
JW

You might want to check the Ph level, that is.. the acidity level in the
compost.. You can buy a basic Ph level probe for I would guess in the US
for about 10 to fifteen dollers. Usually you have to insert the probe;..
leave it for a few minutes and then read it.
Most citrus foots prefer an acid soil and if they are potted then you
need to feed with a Citrus fertiliser when you do.. Obtaining a good
book on Citrus trees is advisable. Try a good, bookshop, garden centre,
buy online or go to your local library and ask them,
Our citrus tree is in a large container.. stays in the conservatory
during the winter and outdoors on the patio in the summer...

JW
HND Hort.

Yaderp wrote:

"Jim Marrs" wrote in
:

My Blog at: http://www.livejournal.com/users/sw33tf00l/
Old 07-03-2006, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Yaderp

(JW) wrote in
:

You might want to check the Ph level, that is.. the acidity level in
the compost.. You can buy a basic Ph level probe for I would guess in
the US for about 10 to fifteen dollers. Usually you have to insert the
probe;.. leave it for a few minutes and then read it.
Most citrus foots prefer an acid soil and if they are potted then you
need to feed with a Citrus fertiliser when you do.. Obtaining a good
book on Citrus trees is advisable. Try a good, bookshop, garden
centre, buy online or go to your local library and ask them,
Our citrus tree is in a large container.. stays in the conservatory
during the winter and outdoors on the patio in the summer...

JW
HND Hort.

Yaderp wrote:

"Jim Marrs" wrote in
:

"Yaderp" wrote in message
I started a leomn tree from a seed in a small pot. It is now about
10
inches tall. The leaves, however, are brown around the edges. Is
this a sign of too much watering, too little, or something
entirely different? What should I feed the little tree and when
should I move it outdoors or to
a larger container? I am in the southeastern US with winter time
temps down
to about 20 at times, but generally pretty mild. Any suggestions
would eb greatly appreciated.

--
Yaderp

Peeing on an electric fence is one of those life lesson you only
have to be
taught once.

Thanks so much for the information!

Amazingly, a friend brought me some lemon fruite from a recent trip to
Arizona. Just on a whim we planted some of the seed. Now we have these
little trees! Since we have them we're trying to nurture them. Thanks to
everyone here who has been so helpful!

--
Yaderp

Peeing on an electric fence is one of those life lesson you only have to
be taught once.

[IMG] code is On

Lemon Tree Advice to a newbie please: Is it wide enough to plant mynew bought lemon tree? [email protected] Gardening 2 25-05-2008 05:22 AM
Lemon-scented something - lemon-scented.jpg Ann Garden Photos 5 07-08-2007 07:09 PM
Lemon Tree question Shaal Gebyy Australia 7 14-03-2004 12:40 AM
Lemon Tree Question Shell91 Gardening 1 28-09-2003 01:02 AM
Meyer lemon tree question Me Gardening 3 06-03-2003 04:15 PM