GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tulips Concern (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/136619-tulips-concern.html)

troya 02-03-2006 10:18 PM

Tulips Concern

Hi all,

I'm in NJ and my tulips are coming up and I'm very happy for that.
However there is very cold outside (low 20F) and this is the first time I
have
Tulips.
Is this normal? Will they get hurt with this weather?
Oscar

presley 03-03-2006 07:38 AM

Tulips Concern

They will not be harmed. Many bulbs tentatively stick up their noses (which
are the top edges of their leaves) at any hint of warm weather, but the
flower scapes are usually the last thing up. Therefore they almost always
escape cold weather damage. (The tips of the leaves that are already
sticking out of the ground may burn or get brown - the rest of the leaf
which is underground will be fine).

[email protected] 03-03-2006 04:15 PM

Tulips Concern

The tulips all emerged early in 2500 BC and froze to death, now they
are extinct.

Now on a serious side, even if the leaf tips get frost bit they are
adding strength to the plant and the flowers will come later.