Old 05-03-2006, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Spores in the flower-bed

Please forgive my non-technical gardening terminology. I have a
flower-bed on the front of my house and spores are growing in the dirt
in certain areas of the bed. I was hoping that someone could tell me
what these spores are and also how to get rid of them. They are quite
unsightly to look at.

To see the spores, go he

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...sthe/fungi.jpg

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2006, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

wrote:
Please forgive my non-technical gardening terminology. I have a
flower-bed on the front of my house and spores are growing in the dirt
in certain areas of the bed. I was hoping that someone could tell me
what these spores are and also how to get rid of them. They are quite
unsightly to look at.

To see the spores, go he

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...sthe/fungi.jpg

Thanks!

They appear to be mushrooms growing on the damp wood chips in your
flower bed. Take a hoe or trowel and break them off. Let the bed dry out
and they will probably disappear. Don't eat them, they may be poisonous.

George

Old 08-03-2006, 04:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fred Stevens

In article .com, wrote:
Please forgive my non-technical gardening terminology. I have a
flower-bed on the front of my house and spores are growing in the dirt
in certain areas of the bed. I was hoping that someone could tell me
what these spores are and also how to get rid of them. They are quite
unsightly to look at.

To see the spores, go he

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...sthe/fungi.jpg

Thanks!

What you have are Birds Nest Fungi, a rather nice grouping of them. If you do
a Google image search on Birds Nest fungi, you'll see many examples. They're
harmless, simply breaking down the woody material in your flower bed. When
your garden dries out or they finish chewing up the wood chips, they'll
disappear. In the mean time,enjoy them. They're quite interesting. The "eggs
are actually packets of spores surrounded by a hard covering all within a
cup-like nest. Are they toxic?. Not as far as I know, but they're too tough
and leathery to be eaten. I'd be delighted if they showed up in my garden.

Fred

[IMG] code is On

moss spores? Mike Bonsai 0 24-02-2004 04:04 PM
Hydrogen peroxide for blackspot spores? Mark. Gooley Roses 17 18-07-2003 02:48 AM
milky spores in southern NH Tim Gardening 8 01-05-2003 03:32 PM
which medium is best for mushroom spores Pat London United Kingdom 1 02-03-2003 01:18 PM