Old 06-03-2006, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default USDA Zone 9 partial screening trees/shrubs

Hi All,

I have a question which I am sure has been asked many times before
about screening plants (for zone 9). I have a picket fence approx. 4ft
(1.2m) high and 15ft (4.5m) in length which I would like to plant in
front of. I am not looking for a complete privacy screening hedge nor
something that is super tall.

Ideally I am looking for a medium coverage, approx. 10ft (3m) tall.

Suggestions so far have been pittosporums, bamboo or conifers, none of
which I am really interested in.

Any thoughts? I have tossed up ideas about weeping trees of some sort
like a weeping cherry that would grow higher than the pickets then
cascade over slightly.

Thanks Heaps

Old 06-03-2006, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Joe

Thanks George,

It doesn't necessarily need to be ten feet exactly - anywhere between 6
- 12 feet is fine. I would prefer at least 6 foot to ensure that there
is a little bit extra height behind the picket.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Joe wrote:

Thanks George,

It doesn't necessarily need to be ten feet exactly - anywhere between 6
- 12 feet is fine. I would prefer at least 6 foot to ensure that there
is a little bit extra height behind the picket.

I'm gonna suggest Crepe Myrtle. Nice blooms in several colors availble.
fast enough growing. can be pruned/trained to be as dense or 'loose' as
desired.

I dunno

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Old 07-03-2006, 05:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Joe

Thank you for your suggestions..

I am looking at crape myrtles at the moment and there are some
semi-dwarf varieties where the height is about right. Not sure on the
form though, but they are pretty when in flower.

I am still looking at options such as a weeping cherry (not sure on
height), hibiscus, plumbago etc. There is no restrictions such as
powerlines or depth issues (it is on the backyard side of the fence) so
if anyone has any other ideas I am more than open to suggestions. I am
looking to get them in the garden in the next month or so.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Joe wrote:

Thank you for your suggestions..

I am looking at crape myrtles at the moment and there are some
semi-dwarf varieties where the height is about right. Not sure on the
form though, but they are pretty when in flower.

I am still looking at options such as a weeping cherry (not sure on
height), hibiscus, plumbago etc. There is no restrictions such as
powerlines or depth issues (it is on the backyard side of the fence) so
if anyone has any other ideas I am more than open to suggestions. I am
looking to get them in the garden in the next month or so.

Hmm, I figured you could just keep the CMs trimmed to the height you
wanted - probably only need to do that once a year. I have some in my
neighborhood that have been allowed to grow to tree height. I have kept
mine at around eight feet for years.

good luck

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 09-03-2006, 12:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mike in NC

I suggest you beg, borrow, or steal a copy of Dirr's Trees and
Shrubs for Warm Climates. You will find MANY shrubs listed to
fit your application.

Besides the zone, are you in a rainy or dry climate? That
will make a difference.

Most bamboo is highly invasive, and I would not recommend it.

If you get a fair amount of rain, you could consider some of
the viburnums, in particular, Viburnum suspensum, V. tinus, or
V. odoratissimum. They all grow in zone 9, are evergreen,
reach approimately the height you are requesting, and are
sturdy, attractive plants readily available at garden centers.
Of these, I would choose V. odoratissimum if you have sun,
V.tinus if you have shade or mostly shade, V. suspensum if you
have at least half sun and sandy soil.

M.

wrote:

Hi All,

I have a question which I am sure has been asked many times before
about screening plants (for zone 9). I have a picket fence approx. 4ft
(1.2m) high and 15ft (4.5m) in length which I would like to plant in
front of. I am not looking for a complete privacy screening hedge nor
something that is super tall.

Ideally I am looking for a medium coverage, approx. 10ft (3m) tall.

Suggestions so far have been pittosporums, bamboo or conifers, none of
which I am really interested in.

Any thoughts? I have tossed up ideas about weeping trees of some sort
like a weeping cherry that would grow higher than the pickets then
cascade over slightly.

Thanks Heaps

Mike
On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)