Old 07-03-2006, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ** FUNGUS - Cyrtostachys renda **

Please take a look at the following picture (focus is not great):
http://www.consumergroup.com/renda.jpg

I have noticed some black spots on the crown shaft. Sometimes I think I
can remove them by carefully scratching them with my finger nail
although I really don't know if this is a normal feature of the
Cyrtostachys renda or if it is a type of fungus. I have been using a
topical / contact based fungicide a bit but not sure whether I need it
or if it is helping. If it is a fungus, maybe I need a stronger
systemic fungicide?

I am just not familiar with this plant and was wondering if anything
thinks this is the normal look of the crownshaft (ie. to have some
blace small spots on it). It is a relatively small plant (3-5 gallon).
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I am growing it in Palm Beach County, FL (zone 10) and I bring it in
any night that I think the temperature will drop to 65 degrees F or
lower.

Thanks,

-David

Old 08-03-2006, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Your picture looks great! But your picture seems to show clear algae /
moss rather than what I have. I assume you are simply letting me know
they can look dirty or less than perfect. I just thought it was
strange that these black spots (in many cases) can be slightly
scratched off with a finger nail.

Where are you growing your plant? It looks like its in a swamp.. = )

Old 08-03-2006, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Your picture looks great! But your picture seems to show clear algae /
moss rather than what I have. I assume you are simply letting me know
they can look dirty or less than perfect. I just thought it was
strange that these black spots (in many cases) can be slightly
scratched off with a finger nail.

Where are you growing your plant? It looks like its in a swamp.. = )

[IMG] code is On

Last year, fungus fungus everywhere Natalka Rosalia Maria Roshak Edible Gardening 5 26-01-2005 06:26 PM
Honey fungus and wood chips John Towill United Kingdom 2 24-04-2003 07:44 PM
fungus in Sydney garden Richard Wright Australia 0 29-03-2003 03:20 PM
Rose Fungus question Campbe4 Roses 11 11-03-2003 10:33 PM
Oak root fungus? Susan Solomon Roses 1 20-02-2003 06:03 PM