Old 05-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Joan

Default Pots without drainage holes

I found an old flower pot in the attic and it doesn't have drainage holes.
It is 9 inches in diameter. I'd like to put something in it, but need advice
about what to plant, and how to provide drainage.

Old 05-04-2003, 05:08 PM
SugarChile

It's very tricky to grow things in pots without drainage holes. You can put
gravel and horticultural charcoal in the bottom of the pot, grow a
succulent or cactus that needs little water, and watering sparingly, but
it's hard to get it right. I would suggest finding a simple plastic pot
that fits inside of your old pot, so that you can use it just as a cover
pot. That way you can grow anything you want, and just lift the plastic pot
out to water it and let it drain.

Alternatively, you can try drilling a drainage hole in your old pot. Cover
the spot with masking tape, and go slowly. This is a risky proposition,
though, as the pot may chip and crack. I've done it successfully, but
wouldn't want to risk it on something irreplaceable.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

news:A610FC4428C788DE.1692E87F19F90EFF.9CA227FF49F ...

Old 05-04-2003, 05:32 PM
zxcvbob

Joan wrote:

I found an old flower pot in the attic and it doesn't have drainage holes.
It is 9 inches in diameter. I'd like to put something in it, but need advice
about what to plant, and how to provide drainage.

If it's a pot you particularly like, put an 8" plastic pot with drainage
holes inside, and plant in that. You can take the plant out and dump
out the water after a rain, etc.

If it was about twice as big, you could plant a waterlily in it.

Bob
Old 05-04-2003, 05:56 PM
paghat

In article
A610FC4428C788DE.1692E87F19F90EFF.9CA227FF49FAB13 ,
"Joan" wrote:

I found an old flower pot in the attic and it doesn't have drainage holes.
It is 9 inches in diameter. I'd like to put something in it, but need advice
about what to plant, and how to provide drainage.

Not big enough pots for bog plants, & without drainage, even plants that
kinda like soggy soil will do badly. You could get a mortar drill-bit &
drill a hole in the bottom, then it'll be good for whatever's your
favorite pottable plant. I've never yet broken a pot drilling holes, seems
to be a safe thing. If you can't bare to alter the pot, then you'll need
an even smaller one, with hole, to put inside the old one.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Joan

Since I don't know a thing about drilling holes, I'll go with the 8 inch
plastic pot idea!!

Old 05-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Phisherman

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 09:36:15 -0600, "Joan" wrote:

I found an old flower pot in the attic and it doesn't have drainage holes.
It is 9 inches in diameter. I'd like to put something in it, but need advice
about what to plant, and how to provide drainage.

Get a pot that fits inside the one without drainage. If you use the
pot without drainage, you risk rot.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"Joan" wrote:

I found an old flower pot in the attic and it doesn't have drainage holes.
It is 9 inches in diameter. I'd like to put something in it, but need advice
about what to plant, and how to provide drainage.

Drill holes with a tile bit.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 06-04-2003, 09:08 AM
jammer

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 10:27:04 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

If it's a pot you particularly like, put an 8" plastic pot with drainage
holes inside, and plant in that. You can take the plant out and dump
out the water after a rain, etc.

If it was about twice as big, you could plant a waterlily in it.

Bob

My water lillie has 4 leaves on the surface. (at least it did before
the hail storm, we'll see) It is in a 4-5 inch pot. Is that too
small??

Old 07-04-2003, 04:44 AM
jammer

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 14:13:41 -0400, "BT" wrote:

I've used both clay and plastic pots with no drainage holes without any
problems. You don't need to worry about lack of drainage holes unless you tend
to overwater your plants. Just put an inch or two of pea gravel in the bottom,
then top up with a good quality potting soil. If it is a clay flower pot, it
will "breathe" away some of the excess moisture anyways. If it isn't a clay
pot, just don't overwater in the first place...more frequent waterings of less
water should work fine

BT

Actually, I had forgotten where the pot came from. I had an ivy in it
that went all the way around the kitchen 15 yrs ago. We moved and it
died...but otherwise, yes, just dont over water and don't try it with
a plant you can't stand to lose.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Iris Cohen

I found an old flower pot in the attic and it doesn't have drainage holes.
It is 9 inches in diameter. I'd like to put something in it, but need advice
about what to plant, and how to provide drainage.

If it is decorative, with a glaze, it is probably what is called a cachepot.
You grow the plant in an ordinary pot & use the cachepot when you have company.
This is the safest method. There are very few plants I would recommend growing
in a pot without a hole. You are asking for trouble. If you insist on potting
directly in it, take it to a store that specializes in bathroom tiles. They
will drill a hole in it for you. It is not cheap & it is a gamble.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)