Old 10-03-2006, 07:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Owlman

Default Getting avocado trees to produce fruit?

Twenty plus years ago we tried raising an avocado tree in our yard in
Southern California. The first attempted failed due to sun damage to
the plant; the second plant never produced fruit.

We'd like to try again, but we'd like to have some expectation of
success this time. Since we live in an avocado growing area, I've
assumed that we didn't have to worry too much about getting fruit on
our trees, but guess that isn't exactly true.

How can we assure success this time out? I'm assuming that you can't
just go into a nursery and ask for a male and female avocado tree,
right? Do we just have to wait for chance to get the right bee with
the right pollen to our trees?

Thanks much for your comments.

Stan
San Diego, CA
Old 10-03-2006, 08:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 23:40:24 -0800, Owlman wrote:

Twenty plus years ago we tried raising an avocado tree in our yard in
Southern California. The first attempted failed due to sun damage to
the plant; the second plant never produced fruit.

We'd like to try again, but we'd like to have some expectation of
success this time. Since we live in an avocado growing area, I've
assumed that we didn't have to worry too much about getting fruit on
our trees, but guess that isn't exactly true.

How can we assure success this time out? I'm assuming that you can't
just go into a nursery and ask for a male and female avocado tree,
right? Do we just have to wait for chance to get the right bee with
the right pollen to our trees?

Thanks much for your comments.

Stan
San Diego, CA

I planted a seed from a store-bought avocado, also about 15-20 (?)
years ago. Started out as one of those 3-toothpick in a glass
fun things; transplanted it; lo & behold, it took off. Bore
erratically; some years much, others little. What the squirrels
left me, I enjoyed the hell out of.

Where it found its "mate" I haven't a clue. Maybe another tree
down the block?

Maybe you could plant several to increase your chances
of success. (Would be cute it they ALL took off!).

I realize this isn't scientific input; just wanted to assure
you that this gardener "succeeded" quite without planning,
and in the same general So Calif beach area as you.

Persephone

Old 12-03-2006, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug

Owlman wrote:
Twenty plus years ago we tried raising an avocado tree in our yard in
Southern California. The first attempted failed due to sun damage to
the plant; the second plant never produced fruit.

Plant a type A and a type B

There are two flowering types, referred to as "A" and "B" flower types.
"A" varieties open as female on the morning of the first day. The flower
closes in late morning or early afternoon. The flower will remain closed
until the afternoon of the second day when it opens as male. "B"
varieties open as female on the afternoon of the first day, close in
late afternoon and re-open in the male phase the following morning.

"A" Varieties include
Hass, Gwen, Lamb Hass, Pinkerton, Reed, GEM, Harvest
"B" Varieties include
Bacon, Ettinger, Fuerte, Sharwil

http://ucavo.ucr.edu/avocadowebsite%...ingBasics.html

I put 3 trees in one hole a couple of years ago and am patiently waiting .

Doug