Old 10-03-2006, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller

Default Pruning new crepe myrtles

On 10 Mar 2006 06:29:13 -0800, wrote:

My landscaper put in two new crepe myrtles at the end of my driveway.
These are pretty large for new ones; I'm guessing at least 10' tall.
Here's a pic:
http://www.vzwpix.com/mi/71294999_222506956_0.jpeg

Should I do any pruning? I've seen crepes around here being hacked way
down to branch stumps; I don't want to do that. But I'm wondering if a
little pruning would help in any way, or if I should just leave them
alone for this year.

Thanks.
- Mark.

I couldn't view the images ("Not available now" msg--maybe because I
refused the cookie). But generally I would say don't prune a new
transplant at all. Maybe if you have a broken branch or a whip that
shoots straight up through the middle of everything you could remove
them, but probably still better to let it recover from the transplant
shock this year. Irrigate frequently and deeply (up to 2X a day) at
first and gradually taper off frequency while expanding area of
irrigation. Mulch them to help them get established
(http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/mulching.aspx). Once they are
feeling at home, water once a week or less and maintain the mulch
layer for the life of the trees.

In future, you will need to decide if you want trees or bushes.
Crapes can go either way pretty easily. If you want trees (my choice
in most cases), all you need to do is keep the roots sprouts cut off
at the ground (a neverending task) and the interior whips pruned out
to maintain the natural structure. Some people like to clip off the
seed pods each year, and you could do so without much detrimental
effect, but I don't bother on mine.

If you want a bush, let everything that sprouts out from the ground or
interior stay and shear/shape the outside of the canopy (especially
make it a point to clip the dominant tips of branches). You will
quickly get a very bushy plant. The more severely you prune and top
branches, the shorter the lifespan of the plants, in all likelihood.
But crapes are tough, and you could enjoy them this way for a good,
long time.

good luck,
Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arbrist #TX-0236AT

[IMG] code is On

Pruning new crepe myrtles Mike in NC Gardening 0 13-03-2006 10:52 PM
Pruning new crepe myrtles John A. Keslick, Jr. Gardening 0 12-03-2006 10:32 PM
Pruning Crepe Myrtles Cindy Gardening 10 03-09-2004 11:54 PM
crepe myrtles heppiechik Gardening 8 19-09-2003 02:02 AM
mini crepe myrtles David J. Bockman Gardening 4 12-05-2003 02:32 AM