Old 11-03-2006, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
DigitalVinyl

Default reseeding/perennial herbs for under an deep overhang

I've got a deep overhang on the house so anything against the house
needs watering (right near the kitchen). I've got two patches of
ground(each 2-3ft wide, 1.5 feet deep) that would be good for
perennial/reseeding herbs. Right now I keep sowing different flowers
or veggies there.

It is full strong southern sun with stone walls behind them so they
get solid heat and never get as much rain as the slate walkway in
front of them.

So I'm thinking meditterrean herbs like heat and usually see
recommnedation that they prefer to run on the dry side. If they wre
perennial/reseeding that would be great. I'm zone 7/6b

The only herbs that have reseeded for me is Dill and hot chili
peppers. Drop a few peppers and next year you'll have plants.
Chives grow back effortlessly, sage is good for me and it looks like
my lavender is going to come back--though not a cooking herb for me. I
think rosemary should be perennial here.
Is there a thyme that is perennial?
Is there a parsley that is perennial? I've got flat leaf out back that
I left in the ground. I can't tell if it is coming back or not--too
early to tell.
I've had a lot of bad luck with basil turning to black and dying. ANd
I've never seen it reseed.
I won't do oregano--except in pots, too invasive.
I grew coriander(Cilantro) last year but I don't know if it will
reseed. I only like the seed. Hate the taste of cilantro.
I haven't had much luck with cumin yet but love the spice.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph

[IMG] code is On

Perennial herbs Leonardo Ciampa Lawns 0 17-12-2010 02:55 PM
it can frantically judge under deep quiet evenings Selma United Kingdom 0 01-09-2005 03:52 PM
karen, around tags deep and strong, behaves under it, talking steadily Perry United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 12:51 PM
How deep is too deep? Andrew Burgess Ponds 22 02-06-2004 04:13 AM
broadleaf weed killer and reseeding lawn Dee Gardening 3 09-08-2003 03:32 AM