Old 10-03-2006, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
DigitalVinyl

Default a better grape tomato?

I grew a sweet 100 the other year and found the vast amount of waste
discouraging. Lots of popped fruit, rotting on the vine, tomatoes
dropping from the plant as ai harvest, a black sea of squirming ants
under the plant. It reseeded like crazy.

Anybody have a grape-sized tomato plant that has a more useful yield?

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph
Old 11-03-2006, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

DigitalVinyl wrote:
I grew a sweet 100 the other year and found the vast amount of waste
discouraging. Lots of popped fruit, rotting on the vine, tomatoes
dropping from the plant as ai harvest, a black sea of squirming ants
under the plant. It reseeded like crazy.

Anybody have a grape-sized tomato plant that has a more useful yield?

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph

There is an improved version of Sweet 100 called Sweet Million FNT
Hybrid. It has much better disease resistance and resists cracking. A
couple others that I like that resist cracking are Sweet Baby Girl
Hybrid T (an early cherry tomato) and Marcellino Hybrid. If you like
small yellow tomatoes try Ildi (also called Yellow Grape) or Dr.
Carolyn, a pale yellow small tomato with very good flavor.

You can get seeds for these varieties from Totally Tomatoes,
http://www.totallytomato.com or Tomato Growers Supply Company,
http://www.tomatogrowers.com
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969

For pictures of my garden flowers visit http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 11-03-2006, 06:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
Warren

DigitalVinyl wrote:
I grew a sweet 100 the other year and found the vast amount of waste
discouraging. Lots of popped fruit, rotting on the vine, tomatoes
dropping from the plant as ai harvest, a black sea of squirming ants
under the plant. It reseeded like crazy.

Anybody have a grape-sized tomato plant that has a more useful yield?

Juliet.

I grew them for the last two years. I had to surround a large tomato cage
with three other cages to hold all the branches, and a single plant provided
me with around a dozen grape-sized tomatoes starting in early August, and
continuing on to early October. Nice, sweet flavor, too. I'm very impressed
with it.

I should mention that as the season went on, I did get more cracking fruit,
but even tossing out the cracked fruit, my yield was high. And part of the
reason for the cracking fruit was I just wasn't harvesting fast enough.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Power Lawncare Tools for Spring Clean-up:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/

Old 11-03-2006, 07:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Warren" wrote in message

DigitalVinyl wrote:
[...]

One tomato produced a whole 12 tomatoes? WOW.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 11-03-2006, 11:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Laura at theGardenPages

I had a similar experience with sweet 100. I liked the red pear
tomatoes better, but I don't recall the name. I know they are bigger
than the grapes, but I didn't get so overwhelmed towards the end of the
season.

FYI, cracked tomatoes can sometimes be caused by uneven watering. If
the plants get dried out and then are given too much water the fruit
expands too fast and cracks the skin open.
Laura

Old 11-03-2006, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

I only had room to grow one tomato. I got one from a produce stand which also had
some plants. The first one ripened and it was so bad I pulled the rest of the plant
out and dumped it. the green tomatoes one by one ripened and not even my dogs would
eat them. my mother swore by "sweet millions" but I dont see the plants for sale.
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Old 11-03-2006, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

wrote:

I only had room to grow one tomato. I got one from a produce stand which also had
some plants. The first one ripened and it was so bad I pulled the rest of the plant
out and dumped it. the green tomatoes one by one ripened and not even my dogs would
eat them. my mother swore by "sweet millions" but I dont see the plants for sale.
Ingrid

I agree with your mother. Sweet Millions is a much improved version of
Sweet 100. No one around here sells the plants either so I start mine
from seeds. I get my seed from Totally Tomatoes,
http://www.totallytomato.com or Tomato Growers Supply Company,
http://www.tomatogrowers.com

Anyone that has a limited area for tomatoes should try growing some
container varieties. There are some that grow to very small plants (6
to 8 inches) but have heavy yields. Some very good ones that I have
grown are Florida Petite (this is a very early tomato, 40 days), Red
Robin (early, 55 days), Tumbler Hybrid (very early, 49 days). Tumbler is
a very good variety for hanging baskets too.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969

Old 11-03-2006, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 23:27:51 GMT, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

I grew a sweet 100 the other year and found the vast amount of waste
discouraging. Lots of popped fruit, rotting on the vine, tomatoes
dropping from the plant as ai harvest, a black sea of squirming ants
under the plant. It reseeded like crazy.

Anybody have a grape-sized tomato plant that has a more useful yield?

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph

Interesting terminology. Would the Eastern "grape" tomato be the
same as the California "cherry" tomato?

Persephone
Old 12-03-2006, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
DigitalVinyl

"Warren" wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote:
[...]

I have to say, my yield was tremendous as was the plant. It grew to a
six foot high two foot diameter bush with arms continuing to grow and
flopping down another four feet over the top of the cage. It was the
waste--which I would estimate probably reached 50% that I hated. That
any the moldy, slushy rotten ones sitting on the vine propped right
against good ones. And when you see a big patch of black ground then
notice its moving and then realize it is a million swarming
ants--kinda gross.

Thanks
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
4th year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph
Old 12-03-2006, 02:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
DigitalVinyl

"Laura at theGardenPages" wrote:

I had a similar experience with sweet 100. I liked the red pear
tomatoes better, but I don't recall the name. I know they are bigger
than the grapes, but I didn't get so overwhelmed towards the end of the
season.

FYI, cracked tomatoes can sometimes be caused by uneven watering. If
the plants get dried out and then are given too much water the fruit
expands too fast and cracks the skin open.
Laura

It could have been the year--that may have been a rainy year. Other
plants in the patch didn't seem water stressed(too much/too
little)--actually did very well. Last year I had a lot of problem with
cracking on heirlooms, but that was due to my job taking all my time
It was also a new planting ground, although I gave the tomatoes the
best pickings.

They also dropped a lot of ripe fruit. Which was frustrating to see
ripe fruit dropped yet split and moldy fruit still stuck on the vine
squashed against new healthy ones.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
DigitalVinyl

wrote:

I grew a sweet 100 the other year and found the vast amount of waste
discouraging. Lots of popped fruit, rotting on the vine, tomatoes
dropping from the plant as ai harvest, a black sea of squirming ants
under the plant. It reseeded like crazy.

Anybody have a grape-sized tomato plant that has a more useful yield?

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph

Interesting terminology. Would the Eastern "grape" tomato be the
same as the California "cherry" tomato?

Persephone

They usually call them grape tomatoes in the grocery store. They are
smaller than most cherries.

Cherry tomatoes typically start with the size of a large cherry or
larger, about 1 to 1.5 inches round. As you get to the 2 inch rounds
they usally start calling them slicing tomatoes(unless elongated, then
plum). Grape tomatoes are smaller. Typically they are about 1/2 inch
round, sometimes slightly elongated, but not really longer than .75
inch. They are your average sized grape.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
4th year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph
Old 12-03-2006, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Warren

DigitalVinyl wrote:

Interesting terminology. Would the Eastern "grape" tomato be the
same as the California "cherry" tomato?

They usually call them grape tomatoes in the grocery store. They are
smaller than most cherries.

Cherry tomatoes typically start with the size of a large cherry or
larger, about 1 to 1.5 inches round. As you get to the 2 inch rounds
they usally start calling them slicing tomatoes(unless elongated, then
plum). Grape tomatoes are smaller. Typically they are about 1/2 inch
round, sometimes slightly elongated, but not really longer than .75
inch. They are your average sized grape.

Cherry tomatoes are small and round like a cherry. Grape tomatoes are small
and elongated like a grape. Grape tomatoes can be larger or smaller than
cherry tomatoes. In fact, most grape tomatoes I've seen are larger than the
typical cherry tomato.

So the primary difference between grape and cherry is the shape.

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 12-03-2006, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
DigitalVinyl

"Warren" wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote:

Interesting terminology. Would the Eastern "grape" tomato be the
same as the California "cherry" tomato?

They usually call them grape tomatoes in the grocery store. They are
smaller than most cherries.

Cherry tomatoes typically start with the size of a large cherry or
larger, about 1 to 1.5 inches round. As you get to the 2 inch rounds
they usally start calling them slicing tomatoes(unless elongated, then
plum). Grape tomatoes are smaller. Typically they are about 1/2 inch
round, sometimes slightly elongated, but not really longer than .75
inch. They are your average sized grape.

Cherry tomatoes are small and round like a cherry. Grape tomatoes are small
and elongated like a grape. Grape tomatoes can be larger or smaller than
cherry tomatoes. In fact, most grape tomatoes I've seen are larger than the
typical cherry tomato.

That distinction makes sense, although I would think these are more
marketing terms than scientific (tomatus cherrianus). Never seen a
"grape" tomato offered as large as a typical cherry. Sweet 100's were
significantly smaller than average cherry tomato I've grown-but are
usually referred to in catalog as cherry, often with some adjective
adjustment mini-, small, tiny, grape-sized. Until now I've thought of
grape-sized as a multiple-in-the-mouth-at-once size where cherry is
one-at-a-time. YRMV!

Old 13-03-2006, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Warren

DigitalVinyl wrote:
That distinction makes sense, although I would think these are more
marketing terms than scientific (tomatus cherrianus).

Absolutely.

Never seen a
"grape" tomato offered as large as a typical cherry. Sweet 100's were
significantly smaller than average cherry tomato I've grown-but are
usually referred to in catalog as cherry, often with some adjective
adjustment mini-, small, tiny, grape-sized. Until now I've thought of
grape-sized as a multiple-in-the-mouth-at-once size where cherry is
one-at-a-time. YRMV!

The "grape" tomatoes at regular supermarkets around here are usually small.
But so are the cherry tomatoes.

But if you go to Costco or one of the upscale supermarkets that prides
itself on the best produce, you can find grape tomatoes that could be
mistaken for small plum tomatoes (although not the plum tomatoes in those
store, which are usually as big as your fist.)

--
Warren H.

Old 13-03-2006, 06:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
presley

In my experience, what I call cherry tomatoes have a thinner skin and are
more juicy. The grape tomatoes that I buy in the store have a thicker skin
and an interior texture more similar to roma (plum type) tomatoes. So I'm
thinking that they are more closely related to that strain of tomato.