Old 14-03-2006, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds,rec.animals.wildlife

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, The Holy Grail

After 11 years of searching, we (Marilyn) finally found (stepped on) a
Ruby Throated hummingbird's nest.

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Old 14-03-2006, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds,rec.animals.wildlife
Grdner

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:
http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Very nice, thanks. I wondered what that green thing was :-) I found
one about 15 years ago on the ground of my daughter's pre-school. Polo
ponies were boarded at the school and there were horse hairs in the
nest. Were there any cow hairs in yours? Boy, this sure sounds strange
doesn't it :-D

Pat
Old 15-03-2006, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds,rec.animals.wildlife
LindaC

wrote in message
oups.com...
After 11 years of searching, we (Marilyn) finally found (stepped on) a
Ruby Throated hummingbird's nest.

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Good find. It seems unstretched. Perhaps it has not been used.

--
Linda
Temecula California

Old 15-03-2006, 09:49 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds,rec.animals.wildlife

wrote:
After 11 years of searching, we (Marilyn) finally found (stepped on) a
Ruby Throated hummingbird's nest.

js

Yea, we found the adult hummer before that!:

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/141...1124PVXT_w.jpg

Old 19-03-2006, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds,rec.animals.wildlife
Jack Schmidling

Snooze wrote:

Far as I can tell, the original poster is an automated posting program. I
don't think I've ever seen him reply to any of the follow ups to his photo
of the week.

Well, there is nothing automated about my announcements. In fact
sometimes I have to post separate messages to some groups. Not
surprisingly, if not cross posted, I may forget to check one of the
groups for response.

I make an effort to answer all responses to my postings if a response is
called for.

In this case, I found no cow hair but as we do raise a few sheep, it was
interesting to find wool in the bottom of the nest.

Thanks for looking,

js

Old 19-03-2006, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds,rec.animals.wildlife
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Jack Schmidling wrote:
Snooze wrote:

Far as I can tell, the original poster is an automated posting
program. I don't think I've ever seen him reply to any of the follow
ups to his photo of the week.

Well, there is nothing automated about my announcements. In fact
sometimes I have to post separate messages to some groups. Not
surprisingly, if not cross posted, I may forget to check one of the
groups for response.

I make an effort to answer all responses to my postings if a response is
called for.

In this case, I found no cow hair but as we do raise a few sheep, it was
interesting to find wool in the bottom of the nest.

Thanks for looking,

js

How interesting to run into you over here!
Did you get your cup replated on the interior OK?

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 21-03-2006, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds,rec.animals.wildlife
Jack Schmidling

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

How interesting to run into you over here!
Did you get your cup replated on the interior OK?

Not sure where "here" is as it was cross-posted to several groups but I
thought the same thing when I saw your name.

My wine cup now has a lovely gold interior but my wife's is pretty
grungy and I believe it needs to be polished out before trying again.

This off topic stuff relates to a discussion on rec.crafts.jewelery on
gold plating.

js

Old 24-03-2006, 09:58 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds,rec.animals.wildlife
Ann

"Snooze" expounded:

Far as I can tell, the original poster is an automated posting program. I
don't think I've ever seen him reply to any of the follow ups to his photo
of the week.

That isn't true, I've had replies from him.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts