Old 06-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Paul E. Lehmann

Default Rhubarb

When does rhubarb come up? I planted some last year but have not seen any
come up yet this year. I live in central Maryland - Zone 6.

Old 06-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Dwayne

Hi Paul. I live in zone 5 and mine has come up. When I lived in Arkansas,
zone 7, we tried planting it twice and never had any live over one year.
Maybe it is too humid, or something killed it. No one else we knew had any
luck growing it there either.

Hope someone can give you a better answer. Dwayne

Old 06-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Jan Flora

In article , "Dwayne" wrote:

Hi Paul. I live in zone 5 and mine has come up. When I lived in Arkansas,
zone 7, we tried planting it twice and never had any live over one year.
Maybe it is too humid, or something killed it. No one else we knew had any
luck growing it there either.

Hope someone can give you a better answer. Dwayne

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
When does rhubarb come up? I planted some last year but have not seen any
come up yet this year. I live in central Maryland - Zone 6.

Rhubarb won't grow in the south -- it's too hot down there.

My Rodale book says "rhubarb needs at least two months of cold weather and
does best in areas with 2"-3" deep ground-freezes and moist, cool springs."

Jan
Old 06-04-2003, 08:44 AM
homer

Mine grows like a weed. I live in Portland, OR. I actually tried getting
rid of it last year and dug out about one cubic foot of earth around where
it grew. It came back enough for my new girlfriend to make two strawberry
rhubard pies (things have worked out so I haven't tried to kill it again
this year ).

My guess is that the parent is right; too hot or humid.

Jay

"Jan Flora" wrote in message
In article , "Dwayne"

Old 06-04-2003, 09:32 AM
gregpresley

Rhubarb should live in central Maryland, I would think. You certainly had a
great deal of cold weather this last winter. But it should be up. (Mine is
up in zone 5/6, Spokane, Wa). At first it looks like decatying red apples
on the ground. But within a few weeks the big crinkly leaves start to
unfurl. Maybe you kicked over the emerging plants thinking they were
unwanted debris?

Old 06-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Rachel

Mine's been up for two weeks, in W. Virginia's eastern panhandle, western
slope of the Blue Ridge above the Shenandoah, 20 miles west of Frederick,
MD.

Old 07-04-2003, 03:56 AM
John S. DeBoo

homer wrote:

Mine grows like a weed. I live in Portland, OR. I actually tried getting
rid of it last year and dug out about one cubic foot of earth around where
it grew. It came back enough for my new girlfriend to make two strawberry
rhubard pies (things have worked out so I haven't tried to kill it again
this year ).

Oh Man....... strawberry rhubarb piesigh. I was born & raised in Seattle and
my mom made several every year. You just hit on a real fond memory I'd
forgotten for many a year. We had a pile of always rotting grass etc behind the
garage and thats where it grew best. Dang, sure wish I had a big slice of pie
now.............
Won't grow in Albuquerque where I live now - bummer............
--
John S. DeBoo

Old 07-04-2003, 05:32 AM
zhanataya

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 00:06:12 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
When does rhubarb come up? I planted some last year but have not seen any
come up yet this year. I live in central Maryland - Zone 6.

I live in Frederick, MD. Tried twice to grow rhubarb. Once it lasted one
year and once it lasted 2 years and just went away.

I have since have grown it as an annual from seed. Start it in the fall in
1 gal containers -- keep it under lights over winter -- harvest it the next
summer. Generally get enough for one pie. Which is about all I ever eat
anyway.

That's got to be one *expensive* pie. ;-)

zhan
Old 09-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Jim

"zhanataya" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 00:06:12 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
When does rhubarb come up? I planted some last year but have not seen

any
come up yet this year. I live in central Maryland - Zone 6.

I live in Frederick, MD. Tried twice to grow rhubarb. Once it lasted

one
year and once it lasted 2 years and just went away.

I have since have grown it as an annual from seed. Start it in the fall

in
1 gal containers -- keep it under lights over winter -- harvest it the

next
summer. Generally get enough for one pie. Which is about all I ever

eat
anyway.

That's got to be one *expensive* pie. ;-)

zhan

Actually I didn't tell the whole story. I start the seeds under lights --
but for the most part they are either outdoors or in our fairly large
south-facing sunroom. Seeds cost about $2.00. But I guess your right I
could probably buy a bunch at the super for what I spend -- or a pie for
that matter. But then what would I do to entertain myself.

Jim

Old 09-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Jan Flora

In article ink.net,
"Jim" wrote:

"zhanataya" wrote in message
[...]

If USDA inspection stuff for shipping plants between states wasn't
such a PITA, I would ship you fresh starts every spring, for the cost
of the shipping. The rhubarb patch in front of the old homestead house
here keeps creeping out into a hay meadow. I keep digging the creepers
up and giving them away, along with a bucket of composted cow manure.
(We raise beef cattle.)

If whoever lives in Frederick ever meets a piano teacher named Aglaia
Koras, tell her Janet from Mills High says hello. She was one of my best
friends in high school. (Aglaia's family is Greek, which is why she got
named after a godess.) In fact, if she's in the phone book, you could call
her and give her my email address. I was going to write to her, but
couldn't find a street address online...

Jan
Homer, Alaska

Old 14-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Margaret

(Jan Flora) wrote in message ...
In article ink.net,
"Jim" wrote:

"zhanataya" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 00:06:12 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
When does rhubarb come up? I planted some last year but have not seen

any
come up yet this year. I live in central Maryland - Zone 6.

I live in Frederick, MD. Tried twice to grow rhubarb. Once it lasted

one

WE have just transplanted some rhubarb from another garden. It was
well established previously. We'll let you know how it does.