Old 07-04-2003, 05:32 PM
michele

Default birdhouse gourds

I am considering planting birdhouse gourds on a large fence in my yard
which I am looking to cover with greenery. Just wondering if it is a
nice looking plant - I found a million pictures of the actual gourds
on the internet but no real pictures of the full plant. Can someone
point me to some good pictures of fully grown gourd plants. I realize
there are a variety of plants - someone gave me seeds and one of the
gourds - it is about a foot high gourd. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Valkyrie

"michele" wrote in message
om...
I am considering planting birdhouse gourds on a large fence in my yard
which I am looking to cover with greenery. Just wondering if it is a
nice looking plant - I found a million pictures of the actual gourds
on the internet but no real pictures of the full plant. Can someone
point me to some good pictures of fully grown gourd plants. I realize
there are a variety of plants - someone gave me seeds and one of the
gourds - it is about a foot high gourd. Thanks.

Here's some websites that have pretty good pictures of gourds people have
growing. Hope it helps.

http://laurie1_2.tripod.com/mygourds/growgourds.htm

http://www.emilycompost.com/gourds.htm

http://www.gourds4you.com/growing_gourds.html

Val

Old 07-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Tracey

Just wondering if it is a nice looking plant

My one and only experience with birdhouse gourds was
in MN. I planted four of them around the posts of a
small fenced area (it held our trashcan). The rest
of the area I planted with morning glories. For
whatever reason (the ground might not have been
fertile enough, there were other plants besides the
morning glories in the area that might have inhibited
their growth, I tried to train them up the post/trellis
instead of letting them flop on the ground, etc.,)
the plants survived but did not go crazy with growth
like I've seen others' do. The plant itself wasn't
bad looking, but it was nothing to crow about. Again,
this might have been because of my growing conditions,
but I was glad that I had put the morning glories there,
too, because I don't think I would have liked having
just the gourds there. They wouldn't have covered the
trellis like the MGs did.

Tracey

Old 07-04-2003, 06:32 PM

"michele" wrote in message
om...
I am considering planting birdhouse gourds on a large fence in my yard
which I am looking to cover with greenery. Just wondering if it is a
nice looking plant - I found a million pictures of the actual gourds
on the internet but no real pictures of the full plant. Can someone
point me to some good pictures of fully grown gourd plants. I realize
there are a variety of plants - someone gave me seeds and one of the
gourds - it is about a foot high gourd. Thanks.

They will look like pumpkin vines. I have raised them for years. I have
never tried to train them to go up a fence though. The vines are pretty
delicate. Good luck. The gourds are great.
Susie :-))

Old 07-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

michele wrote:

I am considering planting birdhouse gourds on a large fence in my yard
which I am looking to cover with greenery. Just wondering if it is a
nice looking plant - I found a million pictures of the actual gourds
on the internet but no real pictures of the full plant. Can someone
point me to some good pictures of fully grown gourd plants. I realize
there are a variety of plants - someone gave me seeds and one of the
gourds - it is about a foot high gourd. Thanks.

Easily grown, very productive, with sprawling vines creating an amazing,
huge sea of green by end of summer. Once frost kills the vines, you'll
find dozens, if not hundreds, of bottle-shaped fruits. White blossoms
open at sunset, look beautiful under a full moon.

Culture is simple. For each hill, mix a bag of compost or manure into
the soil, then top with a half dozen or so seeds. Keep watered, and
enjoy the show.

Old 08-04-2003, 04:20 PM

why not plant ornamental kiwi.. green white pink, looks good. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

[IMG] code is On

Gourds and more gourds Srgnt Billko Lawns 3 26-09-2007 01:31 AM
Birdhouse gourd update Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 1 16-08-2007 02:56 AM
Birdhouse orientation? Gene Texas 0 24-03-2007 06:17 PM
Birdhouse gourd suggestions dstvns Gardening 5 16-09-2003 10:02 PM
need simple birdhouse ideas Adrian Lundgren Gardening 8 01-06-2003 03:32 AM