GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rat deterrent (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/141233-rat-deterrent.html)

Thornhill 17-03-2006 01:20 AM

Rat deterrent

Anyone have suggestions on ways to deter rats in addition to traps and
poison, such spraying the ground near my garden with some kind of
chemical or growing a certain kind of plant. Thanks.

enigma 17-03-2006 02:01 AM

Rat deterrent

"Thornhill" wrote in
oups.com:

Anyone have suggestions on ways to deter rats in addition
to traps and poison, such spraying the ground near my
garden with some kind of chemical or growing a certain kind
of plant. Thanks.

get a cat or terrier-type dog. clean up any trash. secure any
garbage can lids (& use only metal garbage cans). pick up &
dispose of fruit & nut drops in metal containers. make sure
you don't have a leaky hose or any standing water source. make
sure no bird seed or petfood is left outside.
and make sure any neighbors within a half-mile do the same...
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

[email protected] 17-03-2006 03:10 AM

Rat deterrent

blood meal scattered on the soil usually deters "tree" rats. Ingrid

"Thornhill" wrote:

Anyone have suggestions on ways to deter rats in addition to traps and
poison, such spraying the ground near my garden with some kind of
chemical or growing a certain kind of plant. Thanks.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com

Thornhill 17-03-2006 06:26 AM

Rat deterrent

enigma wrote:
"Thornhill" wrote in
oups.com:

Anyone have suggestions on ways to deter rats in addition
to traps and poison, such spraying the ground near my
garden with some kind of chemical or growing a certain kind
of plant. Thanks.

get a cat or terrier-type dog. clean up any trash. secure any
garbage can lids (& use only metal garbage cans). pick up &
dispose of fruit & nut drops in metal containers. make sure
you don't have a leaky hose or any standing water source. make
sure no bird seed or petfood is left outside.
and make sure any neighbors within a half-mile do the same...
lee
--

I should mention that this a community garden, located next to a river
and park, in downtown Philadelphia. And these rats are quite big.

Doug Kanter 17-03-2006 02:51 PM

Rat deterrent

"Thornhill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone have suggestions on ways to deter rats in addition to traps and
poison, such spraying the ground near my garden with some kind of
chemical or growing a certain kind of plant. Thanks.

A cat with an attitude. I'll let you have mine for $3.7 million dollars. :-)

Suzie-Q 17-03-2006 02:51 PM

Rat deterrent

In article .com,
"Thornhill" wrote:

- Anyone have suggestions on ways to deter rats in addition to traps and
- poison, such spraying the ground near my garden with some kind of
- chemical or growing a certain kind of plant. Thanks.

I'll bet you could get a good answer at news:alt.consumers.pest-control .
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/

Doug Kanter 17-03-2006 03:15 PM

Rat deterrent

"Thornhill" wrote in message
oups.com...

enigma wrote:
"Thornhill" wrote in
oups.com:

Anyone have suggestions on ways to deter rats in addition
to traps and poison, such spraying the ground near my
garden with some kind of chemical or growing a certain kind
of plant. Thanks.

get a cat or terrier-type dog. clean up any trash. secure any
garbage can lids (& use only metal garbage cans). pick up &
dispose of fruit & nut drops in metal containers. make sure
you don't have a leaky hose or any standing water source. make
sure no bird seed or petfood is left outside.
and make sure any neighbors within a half-mile do the same...
lee
--

I should mention that this a community garden, located next to a river
and park, in downtown Philadelphia. And these rats are quite big.

How close can you get to them? For $100, you can get quite a nice pellet
rifle that's quiet, and accurate. Check your local ordinances blah blah
blah, or just be discreet. There are also handguns that use pellets, but you
have to get closer unless you're very good with a handgun.

simy1 17-03-2006 04:01 PM

Rat deterrent

Anything that smells human repels a number of mammals, and it works
reasonably well with deer, mice and rabbit, though I have never tried
it with rats. Next time you see your barber, get a trash bag full of
hair. If applied thickly near seedlings, they repel slugs too, as they
get tangled in the hair.

Lar 17-03-2006 08:59 PM

Rat deterrent

In article .com,
says...
:) Anything that smells human repels a number of mammals, and it works
:) reasonably well with deer, mice and rabbit, though I have never tried
:) it with rats. Next time you see your barber, get a trash bag full of
:) hair. If applied thickly near seedlings, they repel slugs too, as they
:) get tangled in the hair.
:)

The rats are commensal animals, where they have evolved around humans
for their existance, so will be used to any human smell.

--
Lar

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,
he surely would of swatted those two flies.

to email....get rid of the BUGS

Doug Kanter 18-03-2006 03:32 PM

Rat deterrent

"Thornhill" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Thornhill" wrote in message
oups.com...

enigma wrote:
"Thornhill" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

Not only would I probably receive a citation from the police, but I
don't have enough free time to sit out at the garden shooting rats. I
need something to keep the rats away without my presence being needed.

You already see the rats while you're out there, right? Do you set aside
time to sit there looking for them, or are they there while you're doing
whatever else you do? We both know the answer. The rest of the issue can be
settled by simply asking the next cop you see. Don't say "I wanna use a
rifle". Be specific and say "pellet gun". I may be wrong and they might be
illegal to use except at a gun range. Or, it might be OK.

Thornhill 18-03-2006 04:45 PM

Rat deterrent

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Thornhill" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Thornhill" wrote in message
oups.com...

enigma wrote:
"Thornhill" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

The rats come out in the mornings, and I almost always garden in the
afternoons.

Doug Kanter 18-03-2006 04:47 PM

Rat deterrent

"Thornhill" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Thornhill" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Thornhill" wrote in message
oups.com...

enigma wrote:
"Thornhill" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

Well, then how do you know they're there, if you're not outside to see them?

Thornhill 18-03-2006 08:10 PM

Rat deterrent

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Thornhill" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Thornhill" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Thornhill" wrote in message
oups.com...

enigma wrote:
"Thornhill" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

The few times I come out in the early morning I've seen them, but more
obvious, are the bite marks they leave in vegetables.

Gary Groundhog 18-03-2006 09:13 PM

Rat deterrent

"Thornhill" wrote in news:1142576780.673427.234410
@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

I should mention that this a community garden, located next to a river
and park, in downtown Philadelphia. And these rats are quite big.

The rats will pack up and move to Dallas shortly in order to be with
Terrell Owens.

raycruzer 18-03-2006 10:17 PM

Rat deterrent

You might try a motion detector device with a sprinkler that throws
water at whatever passes by. It's harmless and can be left on at
night. One such device is called the Scarecrow water sprinkler.
They're kind of expensive, but they work pretty well.