Old 17-03-2006, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Loki

Default Hanging Basket Plants for Deep Shade

Ok, so I have a new home and now have to figure out what will grow where.

My main concern is the patio area which is under a deck and heavily shaded
by prior plantings and trees. I want to put some hanging baskets there but
cannot think of what will survive deep shade, fall beautifully over the
baskets edge and survive a St. Louis summer that will mean hot and humid.
Oh, and I'd like to not have to water it daily.

I cannot think of a thing! Anyone have any ideas?

Loki

Old 18-03-2006, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Loki wrote:
Ok, so I have a new home and now have to figure out what will grow where.

My main concern is the patio area which is under a deck and heavily shaded
by prior plantings and trees. I want to put some hanging baskets there but
cannot think of what will survive deep shade, fall beautifully over the
baskets edge and survive a St. Louis summer that will mean hot and humid.
Oh, and I'd like to not have to water it daily.

I cannot think of a thing! Anyone have any ideas?

Loki

I like to grow Begonias in shady areas. There are many varieties and
they do very well in hanging baskets. Coleus and Caladiums are very
colorful and like shady areas too and some varieties do well in hanging
baskets.

Stop by your gardening center this spring and look at the plant tags.
You will see many that do well in shade and as long as they don't get
too large will also do well in hanging baskets.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969